Silver slaps -buzz/fuzz?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by sadwinkey, Aug 19, 2017.

1. sadwinkey

sadwinkey

Aug 12, 2017
    hey everyone! Novice upright bass player here.

So I recently purchased a set of innovation silver slaps for my Cremona 3/4 upright, and had them installed by a luthier.(they replaced my Zyex mediums)

While these strings feel great, and are super easy to slap, ive noticed a buzz(really sounds more like a "fuzz") coming from the fingerboard, right from where my finger is. Seems to do this all the way up the neck on every string, but is not really there in open notes.

I had the luthier raise the bridge, and the fuzz is still there. He believes that this may just be a characteristic of the strings, maybe until they are broken in. While it's not a super loud sound, I can definitely hear it when I hold my ear up to where the finger is on the board.

I may post some audio samples, as this is driving me crazy! :p

Has anyone else experienced this with these strings? Or could this just be one of the many issues that comes along with owning a cheap upright?
    A

Thanks everyone!

2. Some sounds samples would greatly help us to help you! :)

What about the fingerboard?
    Is it real ebony, and was it dressed by the luthier?
    If it's straight flat, then it's not surprising the strings would buzz.
    There must be some camber in the fingerboard to leave room to the strings to vibrate.
    What strings were on the bass before?

3. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    That's not normal for silver slaps.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021