Silverado Special (my new combo)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eilif, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    I went out combo shopping 2 months ago for a 300+ watt combo. I went to Guitar Center and checked out their stuff. I rejected the working man's, the Bassman 400, and a similar ampeg. It came down to the GK (540 watt 2x10+horn whose exact designation escapes me), and the SWR Silverado Special (a 350 watt 2x12+horn). I choose the SWR because it had a much warmer sound that didn't color my tone as much. I am gonna keep it, but I was looking for info/affirmation/berating/acvice for getting the most out of it from anyone who has experience with it.
    My experience is that it sounds great, really puts out alot of noise and looks like a million bucks with it's chrome grill and instrument pannel, and blue LED. The only drawback is that it is 93 pounds and a little tough to transport at times.
  2. lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I have the older model Silverado with the 4x8" speaker configuration and think it's a great amp. I have also played the newer 2x12" version and think you made a good decision.
  3. DUDE!!!NEW GEAR!!!!! *high five*

Sounds like a beast!!! Sorry no expearience with her.Just glad somebody is buying some kewl stuff!!

You best invest in a nice backbrace also.:p
  4. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    like any other amp, you'll have to play with the eq a bit. try boosting the lower mids (like 10-11 o'clock on the mid freq control), and the lows a little. i like the aural enhancer not past 12 o'clock, especially if your bass is active.

if you add an extension cab to it, you can get 400-450 watts out of it.

i saw a silverado at guitar center with might check with SWR ( ) and see about getting some specifically for it. then it'd be much easier to move around.

congrats on the new amp - i really like those silverados. :cool: