1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Anybody have,owned or played one? http://www.silvertoneworld.net/electric/1442/1442.html

My uncle had picked one up and will let it go for a 100 but dont have strings to test it.I already own a longhorn that I love.Anybody have an idea how diffrent it will be compared to the longhorn?

2. Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    $100 is a steal for that bass provided the neck is good.

VERY different feel from a Longhorn.

3. Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I actually have seen and played one of these, though I have no strong impression to relate, as it was about 40 years ago. With its single lipstick tube pickup and short scale, might it sound somewhat like the Dolphin-nose bass?

4. johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i've played one before and the pickup does sound like a dolphin but since it's a solid body instead of a masonite/fir semi-hollowbody (like a dolphin) it actually sounds quite a bit different.

5. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    The neck seems straight but I havent but hope it wont shift with strings on it.I heard they are generaly solid with the steel reinforeced neck minus the truss rod.Ill probbaly get it but Just wanted info as I cant find a review any were.

6. TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    If you don't take it for $100, I WILL!

The 1442 was the last of the basses ever made at the old Danelectro plant in Neptune City, NJ. It came only in "chocolate burst" which looks like a tobacco burst but with brown round the edges instead of the reddish black.

The electronics are identical to all other Danelectro made instruments. The lipstick tube pickup is the same used on all Silvertones/Danos. It does have the solid body.

I own a mint condition one. How it sounds depends a lot on the strings you use. First, it should not be strung with normal bass gage strings. Danelectro's and Silvertones made by Dano used thinner strings and are short scale. You have two choices:

1. Labella 760 FD, which are the original flatwound string the bass came with, and still made by Labella. They retail for around $40. They are available online. They are 43-79.

2. D'Addario XL-155 Jerry Jones six string bass set. These are roundwound strings made for Jerry Jones Danelectro six string bass copies. Use the EADG from the set and throw the high B and E away. The nice thing is this set only costs $10! Yep, bass strings of quality for $10. guage is 42-84.

The Labella flats give the 1442 a sound similar to vintage basses like Hofner even though the bass is solid body. The D'Addarios give it a little more punch but still keep the vintage sound there.

If you want to hear what one sounds like, do an internet search for a group called the BeatRats from NJ. Most of their recent album was recorded using a 1442.

For me, the bass has a real great vintage sound, somewhere between early Cream and Springsteen's Born to Run (which was recorded with a vintage Dano longhorn). Don't expect the lipstick tube pickup to give you tons of treble and you will be happy.

The steel rod necks I have seen and owned have never been warped, and my 1442 is still straight 44 years after it was built (mine is from the first year of its existence 1966.)

So again, if you don't buy it for $100, let me know and I'll buy it for that for sure!

tom richards

7. Cofrancesco

Dec 15, 2009
    I own one, has a very very distinct tone to it, probably my favorite bass I own. I played it for all but a year of my bass playing career, but just recently bought a p-bass as the silvertone didn't have the sound I wanted for the style of music my band plays. I will never ever sell it.

EDIT: I own a few Dano basses, and I can say that the pickups generally sound similar, but it depends on some factors.

8. Hehe... Sometimes TB'ers should keep certain details of good deals to themselves. I am envisioning a very possible future thread, if this has not already happened. Someone will ask if "Bass A was a deal for $$$." They will identify the store or weblink where they found it. Other TB members chime in with their opinions & approve the bass & deal, but by the time that person will return to the store/weblink, another TB member will already have purchased it. (It could happen. Maybe already? I don't know.)

9. TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    I agree ToleranceEJ, but heck, in this case, if it really is available for $100, well $100 is the new $20, as I was recently told. So I'll take it, love it, cherish it and add it to my basses made in Neptune rack.

;-)

10. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Long story short I bought the bass I have set up and its fun player.I did some research and seems I got pretty good deal,but not sure im digging the tone to much at the moment as im to hung up on my longhorn.I will try to post pics soon but now Im gasing for the new 56 series so who knows were it will be. http://www.danelectro.com/gtr_56_bassaqua.html

11. Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Wow... too nice to let pass for $100. I would keep it and maintain it. Nothing wrong with a closet queen in my book, as long as you just take out for a breath of fresh air every eon or so.

12. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    its cool but i cant keep something just to have it sitting it will probaly have to go.i appreciate all the replies