Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Silvertone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Birkoff, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Birkoff

Birkoff

Aug 27, 2001
    Can anyone tell me if silvertones (like the LB-11) and such are good beginner bass?

2. I was curious about this myself. Is it the same Silvertone as in the '50's?

3. Birkoff

Birkoff

Aug 27, 2001
    I dont know honestly.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They're not. I had 2 Silvertone amps in the 60's and the first and only guitar I ever had was a Silvertone I got for Christmas, (my uncle's discount as a Sears employee). Just as they had before WW II, Sears farmed out the work to various companies, (some different ones were used after the war). Danelectro, Harmony, Kay, and other companies made them with the "Silvertone" decal slapped on them. So, a Silvertone could be a total hunk of junk, like mine, because it was made by some low-rent company, or it could be decent if it was made by a company like Danelectro, (you could see two guitars that were obviously the same guitar except for the brand names on the headstocks).

Silvertones are made by Samick now, a company in the Orient which makes more guitars and basses under several cheap brand names than anyone else in the world. If you are just toying with the idea of playing bass, they might be an okay instrument while you decide whether to stick with it. The investment isn't that significant.

If you are madly in love with the bass, avoid Silvertone, (Samick). You could do a lot better with a used instrument made by a quality company. If you can find a new/used MIM, (made in Mexico) Fender Precision, Jazz or one of their Squier models, you'll get a much more satisfying beginning on the bass than with Silvertone, IMO.

Whatever you do, try the instrument before you buy it or at least have the ability to return it, just in case. One may not play as well as another of the same model.