1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Silvio Dalla Torre's Bassetto

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Blazemourne, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Blazemourne

Blazemourne

Nov 6, 2004
  2. kontrabass

kontrabass

Sep 29, 2004
    Check out this link. Silvio uses a historic "Halbbass," which means half-bass in German. I think that its string length is around 94cm or (thanks to google) 37 inches. The body is obviously smaller than a normal bass'. There is a picture of Silvio standing with his double bass with one hand and his bassetto in the other somewhere on the website.

3. Blazemourne

Blazemourne

Nov 6, 2004
    So is the wooden instrument the normal double bass while the black one is a half-sized bass used as a bassetto or is it the halbbass? Is it recommended to use a half-sized bass for a bassetto?

4. kontrabass

kontrabass

Sep 29, 2004
    A Halbbass is what Silvio uses for his bassetto. So yes, it is the black one, but still made of wood. I'm sure he wanted a historical instrument, if only to suggest that the bassetto has an actual history.

The term Bassetto really only applies to the tuning, so, if you really wanted to, I'm sure that you could tune your own bass like the bassetto (as Silvio did at first). Though good luck replacing the nut, finding strings, and finding people to play with.

5. Blazemourne

Blazemourne

Nov 6, 2004
    But why does he use a smaller scale? Wouldn't the larger size be better for resonance? Or does the smaller scale not really affect the resonace and allows easier playing?

6. kontrabass

kontrabass

Sep 29, 2004
    Jeez, it seems that we always surf the net at the same time...

The bassetto is historically a smaller instrument. I surmise that is why Silvio uses a smaller instrument. Plus, using the open-hand technique he advocates would be much easier on an instrument with a smaller string length.

7. Blazemourne

Blazemourne

Nov 6, 2004
    I see. But wouldn't the smaller body not resonate as well?