Simandl 6

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Garagiste, Mar 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I’m really enjoying this book of etudes. I like how each one has its own focus, this one being re-takes. Between diving into this and Gaelen McCormick’s “Mastering The Bow”, I’m pleased with my progress since the start of the year. As always, feedback is welcome and encouraged!

Dropbox - Simandl #5_3.01.21.mov - Simplify your life

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    That's really good. One nit-pick is to be sure that on the bow retakes that the bow is set on the string before starting the note. It looks like (and sounds like) that the stroke is starting sort of from the air and not giving you the clearest articulation. What's interesting is that most of the upbow retakes are set before starting the note.

I played with Gaelen once or twice in the Erie Philharmonic many years ago. She's a great player.

Garagiste likes this.
  3. Dogfightgiggle

Dogfightgiggle

Mar 4, 2020
    Sounding better and better man!

Maybe try practicing a bit with fewer fingers on the bow. Seems pretty “gripped” still. The idea with this is to get an idea of what each finger brings to the hold.

One more thought: In Warren Benfield’s book he talks about the bow being like a steam shovel digging up dirt. I think if you can get your wrist a little looser you might start to get a feeling for what he’s talking about.

Garagiste likes this.
  4. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Many thanks!

5. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thank you!

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think this is along the idea of the "steam shovel" approach:

Dogfightgiggle and foilracer like this.
  7. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes I just checked this retake issue and you are correct. I did not have a clean and stable starting point on the string; it was sort of all over the place and creating extraneous noise. Thank you for that observation.

jallenbass likes this.
  8. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    This was very good advice. I basically loosened the pinky and thumb grip so it was really just middle and index fingers on the stick. Good way to make sure I’m not strangling the bow. Thanks for that observation.

Dogfightgiggle likes this.
  9. Andy Mopley

Andy Mopley

Sep 24, 2011
    I hope you enjoy playing because on the movie you hardly ever smile!! :)
    Is it to the right speed? Do you also play along with the piano? I find that helps with timing, intonation etc. But as others have said, making progress so keep at it!

Garagiste likes this.
  10. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    My five year old said “it looks like you’re angry”.

AGCurry likes this.
  11. Dogfightgiggle

Dogfightgiggle

Mar 4, 2020
    Yes! This is awesome. Totally validates what I’ve been trying to achieve the last few weeks. Thank you!

12. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Edit: the title of this thread should be Simandl #5, not #6.