simandl = confidence

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dennison, Apr 29, 2004.

1. I have been taking URB lessons for the past couple of weeks. I am working out of the simandl bok and let me say that before these lessons my intontation was horrible now after only A few weeks i am hitting those notes like a champ (yes im using a bow.)

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Simandl? and with a bow?

Well now, that's the ONLY way to become a REAL bass player!
    :D :hyper: :bag:

Couldn't help myself. . .

LM

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The original Simandl Book-I, edited by Zimmerman is the 'Bible' of Bass books.
    I just got mine out to break in and get to know my new/old Gilkes Bass. It never gets old with me. I studied with this bood and Taught over 450 students privately with the Simandl method.
    Stick it out, it will be worth it in the long run.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks Ken, for a better reply than my earlier goofing off.

Seriously,
    I also use Simandl with my students. I figure we should all jump through the same hoops on the way to our goal. And these are good hoops. I also like the Dotzauer 'cello books for starting out.

My teacher, Ken Friedman, likes to remind me that Simandl is like a "Great-great-great-great" grandfather to me: Simandl-?-Manoly-Reinshagen-Fred Zimmerman-Ken-me. Humbling company, indeed. I even have my electric bass students use the 30 studies for sight-reading practice.

By the way, I have enjoyed your posts lately about your double bass search. Makes me wonder if your shop will eventually turn out a few. . .
    ? I bet you'd be able to make a great bass!