simandl = confidence

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by dennison, Apr 29, 2004.

1. I have been taking URB lessons for the past couple of weeks. I am working out of the simandl bok and let me say that before these lessons my intontation was horrible now after only A few weeks i am hitting those notes like a champ (yes im using a bow.)
  2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Simandl? and with a bow?

Well now, that's the ONLY way to become a REAL bass player!
    :D :hyper: :bag:

Couldn't help myself. . .

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The original Simandl Book-I, edited by Zimmerman is the 'Bible' of Bass books.
    I just got mine out to break in and get to know my new/old Gilkes Bass. It never gets old with me. I studied with this bood and Taught over 450 students privately with the Simandl method.
    Stick it out, it will be worth it in the long run.
  4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks Ken, for a better reply than my earlier goofing off.

I also use Simandl with my students. I figure we should all jump through the same hoops on the way to our goal. And these are good hoops. I also like the Dotzauer 'cello books for starting out.

My teacher, Ken Friedman, likes to remind me that Simandl is like a "Great-great-great-great" grandfather to me: Simandl-?-Manoly-Reinshagen-Fred Zimmerman-Ken-me. Humbling company, indeed. I even have my electric bass students use the 30 studies for sight-reading practice.

By the way, I have enjoyed your posts lately about your double bass search. Makes me wonder if your shop will eventually turn out a few. . .
    ? I bet you'd be able to make a great bass!