1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Simandl Etude #15 question.

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Gornick, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Quick question about this piece: page 17 in my edition of the 30 etudes.. waltz in B minor.

It starts as an andantino waltz then moves to 6/4 marked L'istesso tempo with quarter=eighth. okay

then back to 3/4 but marked quarter=eighth which I assume is a misprint.

then back to 6/4 with the quarter=eighth again...

then ends in 3/4 which is marked eighth=quarter which I assume is correct.

what exactly happens at the 6/4 sections? are my 1 and 2 and 3's suddenly 1 2 3 4 5 6's with a more singing phrasing (it's also marked cantando)? or do I hold steady on the count because of the L'istesso mark?

2. At the 6/4 sections, I'd slow slightly and play with a more singing style, as you suggest. The tempo is about the same (the quarter note of the 6/4 is the same as the 8th of the 3/4). Those sure are great etudes, aren't they? And to think a lot of people consider Simandl old-fashioned...still great after all these years.

3. Gornick

Gornick

Jun 23, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks, I figured that was it... but that typo had me confused, as well as the L'istesso marking.

I have to say these etudes are great, much better than I expected. The pieces in the method book are so damn dry and predictable, but these are perfect for sight-reading and bow work, and there is some nice melodic material in here too.

thanks Franz, ya did allright on this one.

4. After you tackle the Thirty Etudes, then it's time to move to the peak- the Gradus ad Parnassum etudes. Study those puppies and no orchestral part will ever bother you again.