Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Simandl Method for Electric Bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ErikP.Bass, Dec 28, 2005.

1. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience applying the Simandl 1-2-4 fingering method to the electric bass in the lower register. Just looking for some peoples thoughts/experiences with this.

Generally speaking I am a four finger guy but when playing R, 5th, b7th, 8ve, m3 patterns I tend to lean to the 1-2-4 technique though I have never really tried to consistenly apply this three finger technique over the entire low register.

Without a doubt the etudes are great sight reading material!

2. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I thought this method was written for upright...and that it could be applied to BG.

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Yes, the Simandl book is great to work with. I just ignore the three finger technique. Great stuff lies within.

Slug

4. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    For me, the three finger left hand technique is pretty much all I use, save for a few stretches in faster passages. I started on upright and this just feels more comfortable to me. I believe this is a fairly common technique. I try to be as relaxed as possible when I play and this helps alot.

5. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I tend to use the three finger approach in the first couple positions then abandon it as I get into the higher registers. I have small hands so this works best for me.

Chad

6. gravaged

gravaged

Dec 9, 2005
    Alabama
    I use the 1-2-4 within 3 frets a lot just because I have small hands.. I didn't know it was an actual technique. That makes me feel better about it :D

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I use 1-2-4 until about the 9th fret. That's because I started on upright and electric bass around the same time. It feels more intuitive for bass.

Use whatever works and is comfortable.

8. I've been working my way though the F Simandl book, and its worked out great so far. The 3 finger technique works well towards the low end of the bass most of the time, but when I get into the higher register I tend to just use whatever fingering works. My bass teacher has told me that "Its important to learn these rules....so that you can break them later." The technique dosen't hurt at all to learn, because once you do you realize that there are many times where you just have to work out whatever fingering gets the job done.

9. Steve Brooks

Steve Brooks

Jan 6, 2005
    upstate ny
    I am a double bassist, but also play electric. When teaching technique, i suggest the 1-2-4 pattern until the 5th fret, at which point it becomes easier on the hand to perform 1-2-3-4. There are cases when 1-2-3-4 should be used before the 5th fret however, just as there are exceptions to any rule. The piece you are playing delineates your fingering choices. So when 1-2-4 can be used, use it.

10. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Lots of great points. Thanks guys!!! :D

11. psychdoc

psychdoc

Dec 13, 2005
    Yes, I too use the Simandl method on electric bass. I have small hands and my training was in this method of playing. It really helps with alleviating strain in my hands and keeps me in position for skips and jumps without having to constantly look. This is really helpful when I'm reading bass parts.
    The book is fabulous but I find it quite difficult as one progresses through the book. If I ever finish it then a miracle will have occurred.
    The three finger method works best for me most of the time ... although occasionally I sneak in all four. ;)
    Good luck and enjoy.

12. edt844

edt844

Sep 9, 2010
    Ed Friedland uses the 1 - 2 - 4 left hand fingering in his "Bass Method", Complete Edition, Hal Leonard. I find much less LH stress. Within those 3 frets are 4ths, aug 4ths, 5ths, flat 5ths, 3rds, min. 3rds, dom 7ths, octaves. I started working with Ed's book and it is a very effective method. I shifted temporarily to working out of the "My First Simandl" book which consolidates the Simandl method into a short intro to the first seven frets. It includes a few etudes from another book.

The only thing that might confuse you in the beginning are the different position names used with upright and electric bass.

Try it yourself using Ed's Method book. You may find it works for you. My brain likes things in threes.

Ed