1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

simandl techinque on electric?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by E=Fb, Apr 28, 2006.

1. E=Fb

E=Fb Guest

Jan 28, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    This may be the wrong place to put this, so feel free to move it. :)

Since I only take upright bass lessons, when I started using electric basses, I just put the classical Simandl technique for the upright bass onto the electric bass fingerboard?

Does anyone who has a clue what I'm talking about have any advice on whether this is the right thing to do or whether I should start using the 4 finger left hand technique...

:help:

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have two Simandl books(back when I had delusions of trying to learn URB)...that said-
    Two different instruments (maybe) = two different techiques/approaches.
    Personally, I say go for the finger-per-fret approach on EB.

I have seen URB players play the EB with an URB(Simandl) mentality; they were playing mostly Standards...their approach worked fine.

3. Both work, but I would recommend going for the 1 finger per fret approach on the BG, unless you feel its too much of a stretch. I find the extra strength provided by 1-2-4 fingering simply isn't needed on the BG the way it is on the URB. Try both though, see what you feel comfortable with. :)

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    E=Fb,

Using the Simandl fingering system is actually very common on E-bass. Carol Kaye stands behind this system all-the-way. I wouldn't say that it's "right" or "wrong". It depends on what you're playing and how you're playing it. When I'm groovin' on roots, 5th's, and b7's; then I use a "Simandl" fingering. If I'm playing busy lines, I go to finger-per-fret. I wouldn't get too hung-up on a "right" fingering system; however, I understand that doing things the "right" way gives us validation and a sense of security.

My primary instrument in college was double bass. Now, I spend most of my time on electric. Maybe that is why I am comfortable switching fingering systems. I guess that is the "right" way for me. ;)

Joe

5. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I also switch between the styles. I feel if you're doing a groove up on the 5th-7th frets, it just doesnt make sense to just use 3 fingers. For such a common zone, it makes it both easier and more comfortable to use your 3rd and 4th fingers to push down 7th. I do this from about 7th fret back, unless the line requires me to switch to finger per fret, which I do quite frequently. It all depends on the situation. To me, there is no "wrong" way to do it.