Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by s7on3d, Apr 9, 2003.

1. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    I just spoke to a DB player from my local philharmonic orchestra who told me that I should find the "Simandl part 1" book and buy it so we can get started with lessons. First of all, where can I see a copy of this book (a picture of the cover)? Second, my sister is flying to Toronto tomorrow and I would like to know where in Toronto she could find that book.

Thanks in advance,
  2. Klimbim

Mar 3, 2001
  3. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    Thanks Klimbim.

Yes, he is from the IPO but his name is Brad Annis (sorry). I'm gonna go to the Basses forum and write a thread about how amazingly nice, outgoing, and helpful he has been. Anyways, if you ever get the chance to hear the IPO play don't pass it by. They sound godly.

The Toronto question is still on the table...
  4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    May as well get more books while you're at it!
    Simandl is a necessity for double bass, but perhaps you could add a few to your collection for future use:
    F. Petrachi Simplified Higher Technique
    Storch Hrabe 86 studies
    Gary Karr's bass books
    Eugene Levinson's new Scale book
    Dotzauer cello studies

The Violin store I know of in Toronto is called Heinl's, sorry I can't think of any others just now. They are probably the best source though.
  5. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    Maybe a little off subject, but I think that Leanord Bernstein did some guest conducting with the IPO and that, along with the New York Phil and the Vienna Phil, they were one of his favorite orchestras. Bernstein is a pretty interesting guy to read about.
  6. Shlomobaruch

Dec 31, 2002
    Boise, ID

I'm surprised no one has translated it (Simandl) into Hebrew. Picture of the cover... I'm off to a lunch date now, but I'll scan and post a copy of my (well worn) cover for you. Bass books don't tend to popular enough to warrant the cover pics other books get.

Good luck on the lessons. Who are you studying with?
  7. I've been out of the loop on Simandl for a while. Are there several editions from various publishers. Are there any that are better than the others, or any to avoid?
  8. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel

I believe that is true, Leanord Bernstein did do quite a bit of conducting with the IPO and I understand what he saw in them. They are, in all honesty, an amazing orchestra. Every itme I hear them I am knocked off my feet by the heart that they put into the music.

As far as translations go... there isn't much need... if you're crazy enough to start playing DB in Israel (there are VERY few players here) you probobly have quite a high level of english. In more affluent areas the english level is higher, and I don't think anyone in the slums of "Bat-Yam" could afford a $3000 DB...
  9. Shlomobaruch

Dec 31, 2002
    Boise, ID
    Okay, two companies publish versions of the Simandl method - Carl Fischer and International Music Company. For paper quality and formatting, I prefer IMC's, but the Fischer one seems overwhelmingly more popular. Here's the covers. The IMC one is of Book II, but Book I will basically be the same deal.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW, yes, the book one cover has been chewed on... by a chinchilla... a long time ago. I told you it wasn't pretty... The rest of the abuse came from it repeatedly being thrown across various practice rooms over the 10 months or so that I suffered through that book.
  10. The two editions of Book I are not essentially the same. The Carl Fischer edition is published as Simandl wrote it. The IMC edition of Book I was edited by Stuart Sankey. He renamed the positions by semitone, offers alternate fingerings in many places (in addition to the originals), and threw in extra exercises and even some excerpts. Some teachers will insist on the original (Carl Fischer). Years ago, when I showed the Sankey ed. to my teacher he exclaimed after looking at it, "oh, they made it better!"
  11. In Toronto, one of the best string music shops is The Sound Post on Grenville Street. It is a bit tricky to find though.

If all you're after is Simandl, it would be easier for your sister to find The Royal Conservatory of Music (bookstore) at 273 Bloor Street West (near St. George subway station) or Remenyi House of Music which is directly across the street from it. Either place is likely to have it.
  12. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I found the Fred Zimmerman version at my local community college library two weeks ago and was immediately interested in the comments accompanying the Simandl material.

Forgive my ignorance, but is the Fred Zimmerman edition still being printed?
  13. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I bought one less than a year ago from eith Lemur or Amazon, I forget which.
  14. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    The library copy, if my memory doesn't let me down, had some kind of strange white/green polka-dot cover...

I'll try my luck then. Thanks.
  15. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    O.K., I found it on Lemur's site. For my luck to improve so quickly, it makes me suspicious.

Too bad there isn't enough room in one Simandl Method for commentary, etc. from Zimmerman, Sankey, et al (or is there?).

Thank goodness for libraries.
  16. I wouldn't say Stuart Sankey "altered" anything other than the naming of the positions. I don't think that's a big deal at all, especially since Simandl's made no sense. All of the original fingerings are included in the Sankey ed., and in some places alternate fingers are included in addition to the original. This, IMO, proves to be a huge benefit when working on real music and trying to find a good, musical sounding fingering.

It should also be noted that Simandl wrote his method before the advent of modern strings and set-ups, when poorer playability on instruments limited the useable real estate on the FB. I see no reason why students shouldn't learn some other possibilities while learning the original. Would you want a map that displayed only one possible route to reach a destination?

Regarding playing Simandl cover-to-cover, I don't think I know anyone who actually went through the whole book. Most students eventually grasp the concepts before reaching the end, but I probably don't know any professional who couldn't turn to any page and sight read it.