1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Simandl's Etude 25 Help

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Williams, Aug 17, 2007.

1. I have just started working on F. Simandl's Etude number 25. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the second to last measure of the third to last line (in my edition, the line is attached). In it, there is a jump from the D above mid C to the low F on the E string. Is there any easier way to do this, or does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks, Williams

Attached Files:

2. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just practice the shift. You can also play the high D after the low F at the octave harmonic on the D string if you find that easier, but I'd vote to just play it as a stopped note. It's a big shift, for sure, but not that hard if the tempo isn't too fast.

3. koricancowboy

koricancowboy

Jun 10, 2003
    chicago
    This is a good one to be sure (although my personal favorite is 17), when it comes to shifting I have found it helpful to think of shifts as shifting to a group of notes instead of just one. For example a shift from say 4th finger d on the g string to 1st finger f on the e string is big. But if you break down your hand position ad look at at as C, C#/Db and D under your hand on the g string shifting to F, F#/Gb and G under your hand on the E string I think it's a bit easier to think about. So you can actually think a 1-1 shift from c on the g string to f on the E string it's not as daunting IMHO.

The other thing I do for big shifts is take the notes and isolate the shift using different rhythms and bowings. For example since this is just two notes I would use the ubiquitous dotted eighth + sixteenth grouping. 1st use two separate strokes and do the rhythm on the same note in other words start at d do down bow on the dotted eighth note followed by up on the sixteenth the shift to F and do the same. Then do it with one bow Down on the D the up on the f wash rinse reverse. Then add the shift and do the same variations. Start slow and increase tempo only after you have it down before you know it you be at the quarter = 120! If you PM me I have a pdf I can send you of the rhythm concept. Good luck have fun and keep at it 30 Etudes is essential and fun.

Cheers,
    Oz

4. The shift really isn't as bad as it look. Because ou're playing the D with your 4th finger, you only have to move you hand 2 whole tones. Visualize the shift as 4-4, D to Bb, on the G string, and back. Make sure you make it all the way back and don't play the next D flat.

IMO, playing that string crossing cleanly is a bigger challenge.

5. you could also play the D harmonic in second position on the D string which is a little help but it kind of defeats the purpose of the Etude.