1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Simil-Muff fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by plasson, May 9, 2006.

1. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Hello guys.
    I've been trying an Electro Harmonix Big Muff and two Proco Rat ("modern" and vintage ones) today, and I founded the Muff to be a great fuzz that would eventually complete my distortion set (well... never say never... GAS never dies... :D) together with my SansAmp PBDI and my Deep Impact...
    However, the problems with the Muff was that it used to loose some low end in certain settings (I don't mind it is not versatile, I found the tone I was looking for) and that I would prefer the possibility to reach just a bit more of "roughness" tipical of the Rat...
    I wonder: is there any pedal that would allow me to do that?
    How is the Little Muff? And the one colored in green?
    I've tried both the USA and Russian Muff... quite similar, but the Russian was a little bit less... "analog" to my ears...

Bye!

2. Theres also an English one I believe.

3. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Yeah, I've seen it in the shop window... gotta try it out...

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    IME, the new Little Big Muff works great with bassy frequencies. The new one has the same controls as the NYC and Russian ones.

I set my tone knob around 10:00, and tend to keep sustain really low (7:00 to 9:00). This way, I get a very bass-friendly tone and I keep my note clarity. I never have to worry about low end problems. It retains the low end rather well, and as you drop below 10:00, it gets deeeep and muffled :D

It holds the low end even with tone at 2:00. Not as well as with a lower setting, as one could imagine, but if still I'm feeling the floor rumbling despite this, I think that's a good sign.

Also, the volume knob packs quite a punch. I'd keep it low if you want it to be on the same level as other effects, and you won't have to raise it much if you want it to jump out at you.

Tone-wise, it's similar to the other Muffs, but I haven't had an opportunity to A/B them. Seems more aggressive than an NYC, but I don't know how it compares to a Proco Rat, as I wasn't looking for something too harsh. The Little Big Muff gets harsher above 10:00, but low end loss slowly increases as you turn it up. Raising sustain also adds harshness.

You should also check DarkHatred's demo stuff for the English Muff'n, which is the tube-based fuzz in the Muff family.

That green one you're talking about is probably the vintage Russian Big Muff, which is what Cliff Burton used for his solos.

I really can't speak for the other Muffs, since I've only tried the NYC reissue Big Muff and the Little Big Muff.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  6. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I was wondering: how would you compare the Muff with the Guv'nor?

7. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    i have both

totally different

Guvnor is quite difficult to get a fuzzy sound out of it, whereas muff is nothing but fuzz

I use the Guvnor as more of a overdriven boost, with the bass and treble cranked, gives me a real nice sound if i dig in hard