Similar Bass Manufacturers???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hex Error, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Hex Error

Hex Error

Oct 1, 2004
    Hello everyone. I'm new here, but I wanted to ask around about possibly some smaller but decent bass manufacturers. I had been looking around in Vintage Guitar magazine a few weeks ago and discovered Reverend Rumblefish PJ bass guitars. I loved the design, the semi-hollow body, and the pj pickup configuration. I would have ordered one if I had the funds, but they're stopped production on all Reverend bass guitars yesterday due to lack of sales. If I had discovered Reverend sooner, I would have bought one already. I like the Fender Jazz, Fender Precision Jazz, Fender Aerodyne, Danelectro DC, Explorer, EB-3, etc. The Reverend seemed to combine a little from everything from looks to hardware. Does anyone know of any other decent, relatively undiscovered (at least to me) bass manufacturers that have a good vintage look, solid design, and a decent, well-rounded pickup configuration? Any help would be greatly appreciated - if I'm going to spend alot of money, I'd rather have more of a one-of-a-kind guitar.
  2. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

If you want a Reverend and you find one -- buy it quickly! They're about to go out of business, as in the next few weeks.

THere's a thread around here somewhere, but I think that this is the last week to order a Reverend. Might do a search to find out.

Best of luck!

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Have you considered the Pedulla Rapture? It's a "retro" design and is available in three pickup configurations; single soapbar, j/j and p/j (all by Bartolini). You can usually find one to try out at most GC's for around $1700. If you like it, I'd recommend ordering one (about 8 weeks) because the floor models tend to be abused. You can also find them on Ebay for considerably less. It's a boutique bass at a reasonable price. It's hard to find negative comments about 'em. Good luck. ;)
  4. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    There was an Ibanez bass that came out pretty recently, and it was supposed to be like a p-bass special...had a badass bridge, and basslines was reviewed in several bass mags and got high marks...I forgot the model number, but it is the only ibanez I have seen lately that really looked good, and also had a vintage vibe. it reminded me of a reverend, not in the body shaping, but in the 'improved retro-vibe" area.
  5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    To me, it seems like if you really liked the Reverend, you should probably just keep your eyes open for a used one. There's 4 and a Brad Houser 5 on ebay at the moment, and a couple of 5's on bassgear.

There are other things out there--vintage-style, P/J, and hollowbody--but nothing that I can think of which combines all those things.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Yes I do :smug:

click on the Benavente link in my sig for more info on them. They are 51 series... white one is a fretted 5 string and the burst is a fretless 6 :cool:

Welcome to TalkBass!!!