1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Similar to Fafner ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by godoze, Jan 28, 2005.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    anyone know any amps similar to the Fafner in quality and tone ?

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Well i found out why the Faner is no longer availavble in the US. Apparantyl they were given to voltage spikes that obviously would be very bad for the amp...

so now.... I await my new rig :EBS HD 350 with an EB300 1/15" cabinet to go along with my existing cabinets.

3. I didn't know Fafner's weren't available in the US, but it would explain why I have never seen one on bass central or stores like that.
    Anyway, that's too bad, I live in Belgium and own a Fafner, and I must say: it's a great head, the best I have ever played.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Can you explain this? I'm not sure what you mean.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think he means there's a known defect in the first and second generation Fafners where there was not an appropriate amount of buffering protecting the power switch. I learned this because in 4 years I replaced the power switch on my Fafner twice, both times at EBS' expense. I got confirmation of this defect from Mott (sp???), the designer of the Fafner.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks RAM. So now I find out that my Fafner (grey stripe) could fail at any time. There is no way to safeguard against that? I don't recall seeing anybody ever mentioning this although Fafner's are pretty rare.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    EBS has acknowledged this problem; you may want to contact your dealer to see what you should do if there's a problem and how they'd back you. If they give you problems, I'd imagine EBS would be supportive...

I didn't mean to scare you...really. :rollno: :bag:

EDIT: I'd think if you've had it a while with no problems, it may be reasonable to expect you never have any.