Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Similar to Fafner ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by godoze, Jan 28, 2005.

1. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    anyone know any amps similar to the Fafner in quality and tone ?

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Well i found out why the Faner is no longer availavble in the US. Apparantyl they were given to voltage spikes that obviously would be very bad for the amp...

so now.... I await my new rig :EBS HD 350 with an EB300 1/15" cabinet to go along with my existing cabinets.

3. I didn't know Fafner's weren't available in the US, but it would explain why I have never seen one on bass central or stores like that.
    Anyway, that's too bad, I live in Belgium and own a Fafner, and I must say: it's a great head, the best I have ever played.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Can you explain this? I'm not sure what you mean.

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think he means there's a known defect in the first and second generation Fafners where there was not an appropriate amount of buffering protecting the power switch. I learned this because in 4 years I replaced the power switch on my Fafner twice, both times at EBS' expense. I got confirmation of this defect from Mott (sp???), the designer of the Fafner.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks RAM. So now I find out that my Fafner (grey stripe) could fail at any time. There is no way to safeguard against that? I don't recall seeing anybody ever mentioning this although Fafner's are pretty rare.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    EBS has acknowledged this problem; you may want to contact your dealer to see what you should do if there's a problem and how they'd back you. If they give you problems, I'd imagine EBS would be supportive...

I didn't mean to scare you...really. :rollno: :bag:

EDIT: I'd think if you've had it a while with no problems, it may be reasonable to expect you never have any.