1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Similar to GSR200 but better quality?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bjjp2, Apr 25, 2015.

1. bjjp2

bjjp2

Apr 25, 2015
    Hi all. First post. Longtime guitar player, been fooling around with bass (I know, I know) and starting to get competent. Have played lots of basses in store but the one that I found most comfortable was a cheap Ibanez Gio GSR200. I love the weight, the string spacing, the slim neck. It also sounds fine to me, but I haven't played bass with a band yet. If I wanted to step up to a better sounding bass but with the same neck shape, weight and general playability of the GSR200, what would make sense? Higher quality Ibanez? Thanks.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah, the higher-end Ibanez' from the Soundgear series is a good bet. They maintain the same thin neck and tight spacing. Weight will vary depending on model, as some of their really nice basses also use heavier woods, but in general they are pretty light. Used Prestige model basses can be had at a decent price and are a great value for the money.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Definitely a higher end Ibanez model-
    Actually the SR models (not the Gio) have an even slimmer neck. For comparison's sake see below. I'm using the SR500 as a baseline comparison with the GSR200. I don't know what your budget would be, but there should be a standard SR within your price range.
    Screen shot 2015-04-25 at 11.50.26 AM.

4. bjjp2

bjjp2

Apr 25, 2015
    Very helpful, thanks.

Maxdusty likes this.