1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Similar to MFD's....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TehRoflCopter, Nov 30, 2006.

1. I've played several G&L ASATs and L2000's, and I absolutely love the sounds of them--I can get modern and punchy like a MM but they seem warmer and fuller to me.

I realize that one of their innovations is the infinitely adjustable polewhatevers, but that's not really why I'm interested in them.

So basically, what comes closest to nailing the MFD tone? I've played EBMM Musicmen but they seem too harsh for me. Would a more vintage-type MM pickup like a Nordstrand be closer to the MFDs?

And MFDs can't be bought independently, right?

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

You can get MFD pickups from the G&L dealer of your choice. They aren't overly expensive either (I've gotten quotes in the past but haven't actually purchased any yet).

3. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Most of the aftermarket MM pickups are actually harsher than the stock EB pickups!

The G&L L-2000 pickups will probably run you about $45-50 each, a heck of a deal.

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, you can buy the pickups seperately- and they all kick a#@!

I currently have no less than 3 different non-G&L basses that are getting MFDs installed in the near future!

I would also post on the Want it Now forum that you are looking for some- I've found 3 of mine from other T'Bers!

Karl

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I put together this franken P with an MFD I bought on Ebay, and it sounds killer.

IMGA0017.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Interesting.
    Can someone please give me the dimensions of the L2000 and L2500 pickups please?

8. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    FYI. The MFD P pickup retrofits any standard P rout. I found one on Ebay and swapped it into a P/J. I wouldn't let it go for the world.

BALTOBASS likes this.