1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Similar to Powerhouse 210?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RHCP250, Oct 7, 2013.

1. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    Any recommendations for cabs that are similar sound wise? It's a great sounding cab, but I'm trying to switch it for a lighter weight one.

Thanks for any tips!

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Your best bet is the PH 1x12. I love lugging mine around. It's a relief compared to the 2x10. Form factor is easier and it's probably a good 20lbs+ less. I forget what the PH 2x10 weighs... like 68 lbs?! Sonically the 1x12 is a phenomenal cab. It might be the best in the PH line... a little bit tighter tone and it's output is fairly massive for such a small cube.

3. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    Funny, I've actually got the PH112 also. That's another cab I love the sound of, and it's definitely easier to get around with that one. I'd say it's a little tighter/mid focused than the 210, but they're more similar than different.

Unfortunately a 112 doesn't quite cut it volume wise for me. I've thought about getting a second PH112, but the 210 platform is pretty much perfect for me. Enough volume and power handling to feel comfortable with a one-small-cab solution.

Should note, playing through a 700rbii head.

4. Sollie7

Sollie7

Mar 13, 2011
    Woodstock, Ga
    Sell both an get a ph 212 heavier but on casters so not bad at all except for stairs

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Maybe look into the DNA 210. It's not a huge savings on weight (maybe like 55lbs if I remember) but a few people have recommended them to me as PH alternatives.

6. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    Thanks for the tip man

7. blaxquid

blaxquid

Jul 18, 2013
    I'll monitor this thread closely as I'm in the midst of doing exactly the same thing. That 2x10 is a heavy mofo! I've been thinking about a GK Neo cab but I don't think it'll have the same thick and snappy tone. I'm running a 400RB-II through mine.

8. yousaiditman

yousaiditman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2011
    SoCal
    Endorsing Artist: (DNA) David Nordschow Amplification
    Check out my DNA 210 currently for sale. This may be what you are looking for...

9. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I love the tone of the PH210, even more so then the PH410. But I have a pair of PH112 cabs now and they are an amazing little stack. So much volume and killer tone from this pair.