1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Similar to Super Bright Nickel....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FirewalZ, Jan 9, 2019.

1. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    I really like Nickel Super Brights, tention, feel and longevity wise they are nearly perfect. However IMO they lack a bit of "beef" like I get from Pressurewounds, but my hands much prefer the lower tension of the SB's. Is there a string out there thats has the tension and flexibility of the Super Bright Nickel's, but just a bit more lows/low mids?

2. rickwick7600

rickwick7600 Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'd suggest checking out a D'Addario XL set. Bright Nickel-Plated steel, not too stiff (in my opinion), and plenty of low-end punch.
    If those are not to your liking, or still a bit too stiff, I would look into DR Pure Blues. Those might be right up your alley.

dralionux, BrentSimons and FirewalZ like this.
  3. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Ive been wanting to try the Pure Blues, but have heard them described as "scooped" and somewhat bright? However, these would likely go on a P bass that has upper/mid forward pickups that get super ganky....so maybe a little scooped wouldnt matter:)

BrentSimons likes this.
  4. If you go the D'Addario route you may want to try their XL170 set in 45-100 gauge. Slightly lower tension, probably on par with the Super Brights.
    DR Sunbeams get a lot of love on here as well. Round core flexible nickel string?
    Lots of choices! :)
    Best wishes,
    Brent

FirewalZ likes this.
  5. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    XLs are scooped IMO. Sunbeams are the string you're looking for.

FirewalZ likes this.
  6. Another vote for the DR Pure Blues. They're a nickel alloy, similar to the nickel-iron alloy used for the GHS Pressurewounds, but in a more flexible package due to the round core. In my experience, the PBs do have the low-mid punch that the Sunbeams lack.

FirewalZ likes this.
  7. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Gauge/tension wise are they similar to SB's? For example the Medium SB's feel like most brands Medium Lites.

8. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Along with Pure Blues...Sun Beams have also been on my "to try" list. Ive used and liked Nickel Lo-Riders before, but as with other hex cores, I find them to stiff for heavy use.

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    These are waaay stiffer than Super Brights.

Round core DR's would be the best answer, but they still don't sound like SuperBrights. I'd stick with them and just bump up your low end on the EQ a smidge, or turn town the treble. The SB's really don't 'lack' low end, you're just hearing everything...including more high end...so the lows don't stand out as much.

FirewalZ and BrentSimons like this.
  10. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Yes, they really shine after they break in. I’m just not sure they are as “meaty” as say GHS are. Maybe I’ll play around with the eq a bit more..

BrentSimons likes this.
  11. Really? I found the 45-100 to feel comparable to the 45-105 set of Super Brights. Anything above that gauge I completely agree with you. :)

12. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    I just replaced Dunlop SB with DR Sunbeams for my MMSR4. So far(it has been only few days..), I am really liking them. Their tension are about the same but I prefer the "feel" of Sunbeams. They grip my plucking fingers better IMHO. BTW, Somebody else mentioned before, I do indeed hear faint but still noticeable overtone(only though headphones)when I move my plucking fingers closer to the neck. It does not bother me since my fingers usually stay very close to the bridge. So Sunbeams are still winner at this moment. I still plan to check out Pure Blues next time though.

FirewalZ likes this.
  13. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I concur what @mmbongo said, the XL Nickels are way stiffer than the Super Brights. I switched from EXL170 (45-100) to DBSBN45105 (45-105)... very different both stiff/flexible feeling (the SB being more flex) and tensions (had to loosen the truss rod, despite the SB are stated as larger gauge).

Have you tried the Stainless Steel Super Brights? I found them to have more "beef" than their nickel plated steel version. Although I don't think they are the same "beef" as the more mid-pronounced Pressurewounds.

14. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    I have been very happy with my move from Super Brights to Pure Blues.

15. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Sunbeams to me retained their brightness longer than Pure Blues. Not knocking PBs, just my observation.

16. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Yep....as to what to try next, im torn between the combination of; Sunbeams vs Pure Blues and J or P? I havent played on SB's or the PB's before, and both sound like they could work well on a P and/or a J.

17. rickwick7600

Jan 25, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've played both of these sets. Personally, I found the PB's to be brighter than the SBs. I have used them both on a Jazz bass and on Ric basses (no experience with a P). I found that BOTH of these strings lost their brightness quickly, but I felt that (particularly on the Ric) the Sunbeams retained more pleasing tonal characteristics overall... especially in terms of punch and low mids. The SBs are my preferred set of the two. Currently, on my Ric, I'm using GHS preassurewound as I like the feel, punch and stiffness, but I may return to the SBs should I want lower tension.

FirewalZ likes this.
  18. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Thanks for the reply. How do the Sunbeams compare tension/flexibility wise with the Super Brights of the same gauge?

19. rickwick7600

Jan 25, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    oops... sorry.
    By SBs I meant Sunbeams

I actually have tried the Super Brights on the Jazz, but I didn't care for them almost immediately and removed them, so I can't give an accurate impression

FirewalZ likes this.
  20. FirewalZ

FirewalZ

Aug 14, 2014
    S.E. Michigan
    Im thinking ill start with Sunbeams on my Jazz, followed by the Pure Blues on the P. I may end up switching back to the Super Brights, but those two have been on my "wanting to try" list for a while anyway.