Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

similarities to a warwick thumb?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Mar 13, 2003.

1. hello all,

i am looking to trade my warwick 5 string thumb neck through bass, i am looking at tobias growlers, modulus basses, mtd grendels, and peavey cirrus basses. can anyone tell me differences and similarities in sound of each t the warwick, thank you.

2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I do not think that there are any basses out there that could compare to a Warwick's sound. IMO, even the sound between a Thumb BO and a Thumb NT sound different. I would think that if you want a different bass but still come close to the same Warwick sound, you will need to find a bass whose body is made of bubinga. Good luck, I think Warwick is the only company I know of who makes bodies out of bubinga. I was a previous Thumb BO owner. I sold it off Ebay for a $1000 USD and bought a US Lakland 55-94. Couldn't be happier! Unless I had a Sadowsky and a Fodera. A Lakland, a Sadowsky, and a Fodera would be sweet bass collection.

3. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Maybe a MTD? Any MTD owners that used to Warwick owners have any thoughts. I know MTD uses wenge on their necks, which is what Warwick uses.

4. eh?

("eh" is a link)

5. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Ontario
    its WARWICK

6. shut up joel... if you arent going to contribute anything helpful then leave....

ive found that the old peavey's are some of the best basses out there... but are you only looking at the ones you listed???... if so id say go for the tobias growler and invest in a nice preamp.... like a john east e-pro.... or something of the sorts

good luck....
    ian

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Grendel and the Mod will not sound like a Thumb. The Grendel will sound more like a beefer jazz bass depending on which board you go with. I have the maple one and like it a lot. The Mod's to me are smoother and and have less growly mids compared with the thumb. Great bass, but not like a Thumb. Thumb, and Warwick's in general are pretty unique sounding. The closet basses that I have heard that have that Warwick, "woody" sound, are Acacia's. They sound like Warwicks and a jazz bass mixed up into one.