Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

similiar to other topic best bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the stalker, Jul 23, 2000.

1. the stalker

the stalker

Jul 23, 2000
    what do you think the best 5 basses is for each style of music and over all

JAZZ

1. Warkick jazzman

2. Fender Jazz

3. musicman stingray

4. ?

5. ?

Rock

1. Ibanez BTB

2. Musicman stingray

3. Alembic Epic

4. Fender Precision

5. modulus flea bass

Overall

1. Warwick Streamer

2. Lakeland ?

3. Alembic Epic

4. Fender Jazz

5. Ibanez BTB

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think relying on a bass to get you a ggod sound for a particular Genre of music is depending on the gear a tad too much. If someone does play Jazz, Rock, Blues, Reggae, Fusion and R & B, what would they do, buysix different basses? We don't all have Dave Pomeroy's budget (Nor do we need as much gear as he has). It's wiser to get a good bass or three and focus on getting a good sound with your hands.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

3. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Two things

1) For jazz, I've always actually preferred the Precision over the Jazz...I always seem to get a warmer, more-upright-like tone from a deep muddy Precision than a quacky Jazz (although the Jazz is still my overall favorite bass.)

2) In general, though, I think Big Wheel is right: have one or two basses in your collection and focus on your playing more than your gear.

-GM

4. 1. Stambaugh 6(fretted)
    2. Stambaugh 6(fretless)
    3. Fender Jazz 5(96, passive, MIA)
    4. Warwick Corvette FNA(98, wenge neck; wish it was green or amber but it's blonde)
    5. A nice, professionally-refinned-in-sherwood green & naturally-reliced Geddy, w/some kind of super-adjustable-in-the-midrange active preamp+passive tone control & a Kahler tremolo.
    I own the first 4; I'd like to someday have #5.