1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Simnett Guitars - Piezo Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Simo, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Finally, a bass for yours truly! :D I've been wanting to build myself a short scale, piezo only bass for a while but I've been too busy with commission builds lately. I've still got to draw up a more detailed plan, but the spec so far is...

30" scale, 4 string
    Korina body
    Ziricote top, with dyed black Sycamore veneer
    Maple neck
    Hipshot 'Ghost' bridge (black)
    Acousti-Phonic pre-amp
    Ultra Lite tuners (black)
    Macassar Ebony fretboard

...all of the above is subject to change of course, I'm still toying with the idea of adding a magnetic pickup (or 2), but we'll see.

Due to other commitments, it'll be a couple of week until I can really get stuck into this project, but I've made a small start... the body has been glued up and cut to shape.

IMG_2495.

IMG_2488.

IMG_2553.

IMG_2551.

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Wow, nice piece of wood you've got there.

3. Dream Weaver

Dream Weaver

Jul 11, 2009
    OH
    Dude, your builds make me want to drop what I'm doing and cut some wood immediately! =p

That top is HOT!!! It would be a shame to route anything out of the middle. =( Regardless, I'm sure it will turn out a-friggin-mazing! I look forward to seeing the progress. =)

4. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Yep.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    looking epic already!

6. Awesome! What if you somehow disguised a magnetic pickup behind the top? If needed you could cut out an area to raise for the pickup. It looks beast.

7. Nomad98

Nomad98

Dec 13, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Gotta get in on this one. Sure to be awesome!

8. DaanW

DaanW

Oct 21, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Looks great allready. I hope you will do a satin finish.

9. vintager

vintager

Jan 29, 2005
    Slovakia
    very nice, looking forward for more. (btw i'd add 1 split-coil pup closer to the neck)

good luck.

10. Oooh... a 4 string shorty... you've piqued my interest.:D

11. Some progress, at last! I've rounded over the edges, as well as carving the forearm and the rear 'gut cut' contours, I'll be making a start on the neck next week... so more updates soon ;).

By the way, my workshop blog is now online at www.simnettguitars.com (shameless advertising :D)

z1-1.

z2-1.

z3-1.

:)

12. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    SCHWINNNGGGG!!!

b197878446.

Not a bad problem to have at all. ;)

13. Dream Weaver

Dream Weaver

Jul 11, 2009
    OH
    You Sir... Are skilled to say the least...

14. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I would suggest nylon tapes on a piezo to cut the weird trebley tone they give - it's what comes on Rob Allen basses

15. Not fair!!! I haven't even started my new neck and you have to go and post those pictures. I'm drooling now and tomorrow I will probably go through building with drawls. That is some gorgeous wood!

16. Thanks guys :)

Work has begun on the neck... I wanted the neck to have a clean & simple look, so nothing too fancy, just plain Maple with Black Walnut laminates, which should fit nicely with the colours of the body woods. I've also picked out a Macassar Ebony fretboard to use.

Pic taken before gluing...

IMG_3362.

img444.

17. I loved it at this stage, would've looked amazing with black binding... still, it looks fantastic all contoured up too. Sub'd!

18. um. drool.

19. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Very pretty. I wish Ziricote didn't darken so much with finish though. Good luck with the build...t

20. Just a quick update...

The scarf joint is done & I've glued on the headstock veneers. Again, nothing too fancy, just plain black veneers (dyed Sycamore) front & back.

IMG_3410.

IMG_3458.

IMG_3447.