Simon and Garfunkel

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MyDogBo, Jul 2, 2004.

1. MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    This isn't exactly bass related but I've added Freddy in the mix to keep it honest .....

We were front and center (row 7) at the Bowl (Hollywood) for last night's concert with Simon and Garfunkel. The superstructure has all been redone with new lighting and acoustics ... you coulda heard a pin drop ... Talk about 2 golden voices...

Freddy Washington filled the bottom with a solid performance on bass ... He actually played what looked to be a 70 or 80's Haggie lookalike double cut red burst f-hole hollowbody maybe a Hondo -- it had kind of a funky peghead and couldn't have cost more than a few hundred bucks in a second shop somewhere. The band was really together and several times they doubled up on twelve string (Paul's a great little picker ... and I do mean "little".) Also fills with double leads, mando, cello and a great percussion section

There will probably never be a sweeter combination of two voices than with these two guys... I mean that very seriously ... They've been friends since grade school (nearly 50 years) and truly act like an old married couple. Paul is totally persnickity (and what a talent!) ... i'm sure the fight like two hags...heheheh!.... But ...they absolutely destroyed the place!

I didn't count all the fabulous hits ... but it had to be a 20+ plus song set with 2 encore performances of many/most/all of their great hits. They sound as good as they ever did... imo an irreplaceable combination of songwriting and poetry that is woven into the fabric of the old glory - USA - forever!

The Everly Brothers walked on stage just after the openng and immediately lit into 4 or 5 greatest hits set! Paul and Art's first recorded hit was heavily Everly influenced. Don and Phil totally kicked a$$.

Don't miss them if you get the chance ... I don't think they're going to do this much longer .. I was completely honored to see and hear these guys last evening .. aweinspiring!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This would really be a better fit in Miscellaneous.:) Moved.