Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Simple Bongo Question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 24, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The simple question is whats the stingray 5 neck like compared to the bongo 5.

I tried a second hand stingray today and it was comfortable but I had a couple of niggles.

Like the B & G being to close to the edge of the board, the entire string spacing was fine except the outer edges of those two where they fly off the fretboard, and the neck felt a bit chunky, not overly chunky but still it had a real heft to it.

Oh and just a small one whats the difference in weight between the two cos this ray was HEAVY

Thanks

P.S. I care not for anyones opinions on looks I purely want to know about the neck. I've read all the threads on these basses and I just want a straight simple answer to a simple question I don't want another thread closed on me :D

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    On the Bongo, haven't had the problem with the strings being too close to the edge of the fretboard. I've seen it on a couple of Stingray 5s, allthough only with the G string, not the B.

Anyway, from my sample of exactly one Bongo fiver, I have to think you wouldn't run into that problem.

I don't find the Stingray 5 neck chunky at all, so I don't know what to tell you on that, except to say that the Bongo is sleeker.

Weight? Depends. The electronics package on Bongos are pretty hefty and the weight can vary, but there are BIG weight variations with Stingray 5s, too.

Here's some anecdotal info to ponder:

Bongo dual humbucker four: 9.8 lbs
    Bongo dual humbucker fiver: 10.3 lbs
    Bongo humbucker/single coil: 9.7 lbs
    Stingray 5 natural: 9.0 lbs

I have, however, played some 10 pound plus SR5s.

Good luck.

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Thanks Bovine

With the neck I could really feel the build quality, just placing my hands around it, it felt kinda big and a little chunky but at the same time I didn't really struggle to play anything that I've played before, to me thats a sign of good design and build quality.

When it looks fat, kinda feels fat & should be fat BUT isn't.

Strange those stingrays but I did really like it. S/H and only £950 and it was mint and I mean I've seen brand new basses is worse condition, it even had that new bass smell. But hey for about £300 more I can get a brand new bongo.

Time to go sell another kidney (3rd time now folks :D )

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've only played Stingray 5s in the stores, but I've had two 5 string Bongos for long periods of time, and many gigs.

I,too, found the Stingray neck a little bulkier than I normally like. But, the Bongo neck fits my hand perfectly. It seems to be a bit thinner front to back than the Stingray neck, but it still has a nice round feel. No problems with strings coming off the sides of the neck on either 5 string Bongo.

After years of not really caring for Musicman basses, I acquired two Bongo 5 strings in less than three months. They are that good. :bassist:

5. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    The Bongos I've tried in stores (and I've tried several 4s and 5s) have not been overly heavy. Weight really seems to vary with MM basses, there are some 'rays I've tried that are insanely heavy and others, not too bad.

6. I think the Bongo is a possible next bass for me. I have been playing 5's forever (my bass-playing forever of a few years, that is...) but am entertaining the idea of a 4 for my next. I use the low D all the time, but not so much below that. Tempted to go about that two ways, one is tune down a whole step--how well does that work with the Bongo's compensated nut? Also, anyone using a Hipshot Extender on a Bongo (or even a full set of them)? If so, how's that working out?

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Some other weights to ponder:

1. Sapphire Black Bongo 5 w dual buckers: 10.3 lbs
    2. Ltd Edition Envy Green Bongo w dual buckers: 9.7 lbs
    3. Heinz the Wonder Bass (stingray 5): 9.12 lbs

So clearly there are weight differences in Bongos with the same electronics package.