Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

simple controls?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cole, Dec 8, 2000.

1. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I've been mucking about with my Carvin PB-100-10 combo, and I've discovered that the best sound (to my ears) is with all the controls flat, except for the bass, which is boosted by about 6 dB to make up for the less-than-overwhelming single 10" speaker.

so, here's my question (so I can file away the information for the inevitable purchase of a more powerful amp): are there any amps available with just controls for volume, bass, and treble? for me, anything beyond that just complicates things. I like my Carvin, but their larger combos look like they should be in Mission Control at NASA rather than onstage.

2. slick77

slick77

Nov 22, 2000
    My G-K 400rb has very simple controls,treble hi-mid lo-mid and bass.And it sounds great too!

3. my advice would be to stay away from anything with a contour and mid shift knob if you like simple. I got a head with those things on it a while ago and it took me forever to get the "right" sound out of it. I'm with you on the whole two knobs thing. It is kinda nice to always have a seperate gain and volume though.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Y'know, if you've got too many knobs, you can just set 'em all flat and play like most of 'em don't exist. Even the Eden semi-parametric seems to work best when you start with it flat, then goose it a tiny amount here or there. Perhaps just diddle the enhance knob a bit. Maybe futz with the shelving a notch or so. You know, tweak the treble a touch. Whatever. It ain't mandatory to use 'em just 'cause they're there.

5. Brook

Brook

Sep 24, 2000
    i agree that simple controls are better. the more knobs there are the more you spend screwing around with them.

6. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Brook, you're not paying attention. Set 'em flat and forget about 'em.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Cole Here are a couple choices. All tube of course :rolleyes:
    It all depends on your credit card limit, etc.

Pignose B100V. It comes in a 100 watt combo w/1x15"
    and a head-only version. And they're cheap! :)
    $425 and $319 respectively at this site:

http://www.doctormusic.net/pignose/b100.html
    http://www.doctormusic.net/pignose/b100vh.html

It's got controls for volume, presence, treble, middle, and bass.

Santa's workin' on the head-only version :D .
    I'll review it in the "amps" forum if things work out.

On the other end of a platinum card is the Alessandro
    Bassett Hound (head) STARTING at $2600.
    There are only four controls. I'm guessin' volume, bass,
    middle, and treble. It was reviewed in the January 2000 B/P.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/amp-basset.html

My favorite option? $50,000 (fifty thousand) for a solid-gold chassis :eek: :p

[Edited by notduane on 12-09-2000 at 12:59 AM]

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Ampeg SVT Classic heads are very user friendly, bass, treble, mids and 5 way mid freq selector. and they have more than adaquate power...but like Munjibunga said, just because you have them doesnt mean ya have to use them, just set them flat, in the long run i think its better to have all the extra selections especially a 10 band graffic eq or more, this way if ya down the road ya can just boot/atenuate some freqs to change your sound around, you never know when it may come in handy

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I too agree with Munji on this one.

I like the flexibility of a graphic EQ and/or parametric EQ to adjust for room problems and the like, but the best place to start is flat, and with a good bass and a good amp, you don't usually have to do much fiddling with the knobs.

Edens and SWRs(and others too, I'm sure) sound great flat, and usually need just a small amount of tweaking to adjust to a room.

OTOH, bargain brands such as Crate and Peavey(and I can say this, I own a Peavey and have owned Crates as well), while capable of great tones, require huge amounts of fiddling with the controls to get those great tones out.

IMHO, of course.

10. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    I think the solid-gold chassis is a little ostentatious for live use. maybe the silver...

thanks to everyone who pointed me in the direction of various different amps. and yes, I know that controls can just be set flat, but I think the three or four knob design has an elegant, simple aesthetic value.

pignose tube amps...what will they think of next?

11. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Another option you might consider is an older all tube head like my 75 Earth B-2000.Vol,bass,mid,treble and a deep/bright switch.Utter simplicity,lots of vol and great warm tone.Good luck!

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    3 more names to add to the list: Demeter, Kern, and my personal fav: EBS Fafner;). All are known for their great tones, simple layout, and ease of use!

13. just to add to what munji was saying...
    with most amps now, they had the clasic 4 band eq or 3 (low, low-mid, hi-mid, hi, or low, mid, hi) and then theres the "bass" and "treble" which are for the room situation. that way, you have your basic setup for how you like to eq the amp, and then you add or cut the low end or high end for the room. i think that a good example is the bassman 400. there is a ton of knobs on that monster. When i was playing though one, i was totally lost on what to do. then i realized that you can turn off the eq (which i did) and just fiddle with the room balance knobs (bass, and treble) and its much easyer, if you just want to have two knobs, instead of a ton. much easyer that way.

also, like munji was saying, you can make an amp have less knobs and bells and whistles by not using them, and setting them at 12 0'clock or, you can buy an amp that has very few bells and whistles, and need more, so then you got to buy pre-amps, 7 band eq's and what not. I would prefer to have the extra options avalable, and be able to just "not use them"

14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    This from a guy with a WT-800. I'm having some serious GAS pains over this.

15. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I think that its better to have a bunch of em and only use 2 than only have 2 and need more. So my take on controls is the more the better.

16. LOL... actuly, right when after i walked out of the store, i turned to my dad and said "i wonder what the people at the discussion forum are gonna say about me going from the WT-400 to the WT-800... wonder how they'll react..." sides, you got the same as me... except you got a bunch more speakers then me, and i've got a cross over and balance knob, that and 500w more. hm... maybe i shoud just stop now...

sidenote: Hey, i'm 15, and just got my dream amp. i'm sure this extream chipperness will wear off in a few months or so, but then there will be my first gig with it, and then adding more speakers, new found tone with different size speakers and what not, so i guess your just gonna have to fall into your GAS and get the amp. Who needs a savings account at your age anyways? or you could do what i did, and work your butt off for 6 months, according to my parents, "you'll like it that much more if you pay for it all by yourself."

[Edited by Muttluk on 12-13-2000 at 12:50 AM]