1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Simple Exercises to develop legato lines/behind the beat feel..

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Libersolis, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Hi everyone..

I know this is a strange request, but I know one of the problems with my playing is that I am either right on top of the beat or slightly ahead (sometimes more than slightly when soloing).

I have been listening and trying to transcribe lines from horn players but I have trouble matching the slurs, articulation and the details that really matter beyond the notes. I would like to get some ideas for simple, short, fundamental exercises that I can practice to help properly develop the technique and ear needed in order to play like this..any ideas?

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Not sure if this applies to what you're looking for but recent discussion about Mike Longo has piqued my interest in his teaching. He has a couple DVDs out teach his Rhythmic Approach - which seems all based on playing around with hemiolas and hearing subdivisions while playing.

Check it out. If you decide to order, I suggest bucking up $50 for the 2 DVD set. Volume 2 (recently release) is where all the exercises are demonstrated. Vol 1 is just a lecture worth watching.

Mike Longo-Jazz Rhythm masterclass part 1-New DVD available - YouTube

I've been working through the material over the last couple days. Seems really good and helping me with weird time issues I've been having. Using my iPhone, I use a metronome app called "Cycles" to set up a 12/8 hemiola pattern Mr. Longo suggests and drum against it.

3. Anonymatt

Anonymatt

Jan 3, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Shoot, thanks for the heads up on DVD2.

PS: Haha, just looked up the dvd and read the summary---what I like is that the next two dvds he's going to put out are "Advanced Techniques" (sure), and "Ultra Advanced Techniques"! I love it.

PPS: I did have a lightbulb moment just from watching the first dvd, and I felt that it came out in my playing in the months following. Also, the one of the oft-cited Hal Galper videos on Youtube (the one where he's doing a private lesson w/ the pianist that reminds me of young Quentin Tarantino) touches on eighth note feel that is pretty enlightening.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    At first glance, DVD2 is gonna seem like it's kinda skimpy on the amount of material. He goes through a bunch of different instruments with different patterns. Bass gets one or two patterns to play over a 12/8 pattern - not much. Instead, I'm ignoring the instrument specifics and playing all the exercises regardless of what he is "suggesting". Then you see there's more material.

I'm guessing #3 will come out next year and #4 the year following.

5. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    Libersolis,

Rushing or doing strange things is common when we're not used to having the spotlight. It might not be a time feel issue. It might be a nerves issues.

6. dperrott

dperrott

Oct 3, 2005
    NYC
    I personally try to play on the beat or slightly in front off it. I think that is better for jazz. Its very helpful to record your self and listen back to really tell where you are placing the beat. I like to mute the strings with my left hand and pluck quarters (or what ever) with a metronome to tell where I am placing it. This way the growl, sustain, sympathetic vibrations don't mask the placement. I would ask drummers, and other musicians around you where they like the bass players to place the beat. Of course no one wants you to rush or drag but placement is a different thing. Maybe you rush and they say "lay back" to stop you from rushing. They might not want you to really play on the back of the beat. Once I seriously looked into this issue, the musicians I asked liked the bass on the beat or slightly in front. At least for jazz and in my experience.