Simple finish for my ramp

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Wilbyman, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV

I'm about done making a birdseye maple ramp for my R-Bass. I've also got maple pickup covers on this bass, which have a fairly flat and slightly yellowish finish. It's definitely not a high gloss, just a simple satin finish it looks like with a hint of yellow.

Can anyone suggest an easy way for me to similarly (satin) finish the ramp? I've done a search, but this is such a small piece of wood that I'd like to do it as simple as possible. Also, the maple isn't porous...I'm a total newbie at this...

Thanks and sorry for the newbness.
  2. probably the simplest finish you can put on is either shellac, wipeon poly or tung oil. All of these go on wiped/rubbed and are very easy to apply. Wipe on liberally and then wipe off excess.
  3. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV

Thanks...people talk about wet sanding between coats. Do I need to do this and "how the heck do you wet sand?". It might be self-explanatory (um, sand when wet). Sorry for my newbiness again. Will a wipe-on poly give up a satin kind of finish?

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My preference is Tung Oil.

Wipe it on, let it set for 5 mins wipe again with a dry rag.
    Wait an hour and buff it up.

Tung oil can be re-applied yearly or as necessary.

One of my old set-up guys used to steel wool fretboards
    with 0000 steel wool, wipe on the tung oil quickly, wipe it off
    right away,and it gave the fingerboard a nice feel, fast but not too slick.

Good stuff.
  5. any finish can be 'satinized' by simply stopping at a low grit in the process. going up to 800 grit and then doing 0000 steel wool will give you a wonderful satin finish.

wet sanding means lubricating the sandpaper with an oil or soapy water. this is done so to cut friction and minimize 'loading' of the sandpaper when sanding finishes. just put some water on a rubbermaid container and a bit of dish washing soap and make it bubbly. then soak the sand paper on it overnight before you use it. rinse frequently on the same soapy water when sanding the finish.