1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Simple Green seems to revive roundwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Usidore T Blue, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Anyone tried cleaning their strings with this stuff? Mine seem to come back to life. Perhaps I am imagining it?

2. Many things will revitalize strings, but it is only temporary. A day or two at the most. Many players have tried various methods, but abandon them because results are so transient.

To save money, you can’t beat boiling strings in water with a little vinegar.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I don't think you and OP are talking about the same thing.

Cleaning normal strings by wiping them down with alcohol or simple green (a bit odd, but whatever) after a gig will get surface gunge off and make them a little brighter. You're talking about taking completely dead strings and trying to get a few more days out of them.

4. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    You can de-gunk strings that way. You can even just loosen and snap them onto the fretboard and get some similar effect.
    But you can't restore the elasticity of the string by cleaning.

Geri O likes this.
  5. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Any degreaser will do this. Simple Green, Purple Power, even regular old dawn dish soap. I do this often with my strings. I play TI flats and when they start to get thuddy, I take them off and soak them for a few hours in hot water and dawn. I rinse and wipe them down with a paper towel. You wouldn't believe the gunk that comes off. This always brings them back to life. And, it lasts far more than a few days. They're usually good for another 4-6 weeks, depending on how many sweaty gigs there are.

6. xroads64

xroads64 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2004
    San Antonio
    Been doing this since the late 70's with great results

bearfoot likes this.
  7. xroads64

xroads64 Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2004
    San Antonio

Yes, it works

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  8. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    York UK
    Using water will only work for a couple of days, yes. Soaking overnight in de-natured alcohol (methylated spirits in the UK) will restore the strings to "just broken in" and will last for almost as long as they would if they were new. I've done this multiple times on the same set and eventually they expire quicker but as long as the strings windings aren't too flattened out it works brilliantly.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Soak them in the denatured alcohol for a few days and they get much closer to new. You do get diminishing returns after a few times of doing it, as you said, but the first couple times it'll get them sounding pretty much like new.

kasbrey and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  10. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Any solvent, preferrably that when dried leaves minimal residue will provide similar results.

11. I do this, every few gigs. I feel it may bring the windings and core all back together a bit after being stretched out, too. Pure speculation, but I’m happy. Works great on DB, too.