1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Simple help - Bad Case of Lovin you

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by padenski, Apr 18, 2010.

1. padenski

padenski

Feb 19, 2008
    Landenberg, PA
    This may sound simple, but I got into a rather lengthy discussion with one of my gui**** players over his choice to play the wrong chords during the bridge and well I was told I was not playing a part right either. Well I will not admit this to him (yeah I know) but after I listened to the part he was referring - he's right.

Okay, 2nd and 3rd versus the bass player plays what I thought was a fifth and an eight up two octaves but I am wrong. It occurs at 1:14 ("Ya think I'm cute...") and 2:33 ("Shake my fist..."in the song. What are the correct notes?

Thanks for the help

2. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I think you're talking about a tritone-based fill heard at those points. Notice that the bass keeps pounding the low E steadily while another instrument (a guitar with clean tone or maybe another bass) plays that fill. On bass, it should be played like this:

BCOLYfillBass.

And here's its equivalent on guitar:

BCOLYfillGuitar.

In my opinion, on a live performance situation the bass player shouldn't abandon his supporting role to play that (comparatively) not-so-important part. Ideally, another instrument should play it. Now, if you definitely want to play that fill, I'd suggest to let the open E ringing from the beginning of the measure while you play it, so the band won't lose its foundation completely.

Hope this helps.

3. padenski

padenski

Feb 19, 2008
    Landenberg, PA
    Thanks for your response. Covering the bottom is foremost and will may only play around with this part for the reason to quiet the gui**** player.!