Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Simple Minds Bassist 81 - 92

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Correlli, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I'll looking for more info about Simple Minds basssist from 1981 to 92.

I am a huge fan of Simple Minds, and alot basslines they wrote was quite innovative I think.

Some favorite tunes include:
    - Sanctiy Yourself
    - Waterfront (best root note bassline of all time)
    - Promised You a Miracle
    - See the Light

Thanks for your replies.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    John Giblin did a lot of Simple Minds work in the 80's, I also have him on a Brand X album as well.......great fretless player!!

3. Simple Minds' bassists have been;

Derek Forbes 1979-1985 and 1996-1998

John Giblin 1985-1988

Malcolm Foster 1988-1996

Eddie Duffy 1999-present

- Sanctify Yourself -John Giblin

- Waterfront (best root note bassline of all time)- Derek Forbes (it's actually several basslines- the open D and fretless lines overdubbed)

- Promised You a Miracle- Derek Forbes

- See the Light- Malcolm Foster

see the Derek Forbes/Tony Butler thread (also has info on Malcolm Foster);

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14035

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the info guys. Made my day :)

I'm a big fan of Big Country too.

Scotland produced some amazing talent!

5. Rowdy-88

Rowdy-88

Jun 18, 2009
    Australia
    oh, can't forget The American! You have to love that basic slap rhythm. I sure do love Simple Minds. It's a shame not many other 21 year olds are into New Wave music from the 80's. I can't get enough of it though, they're such a talented band. I picked up a live DVD of theirs the other day, and it totally blew me away. They were so tight as a band, and their stage presence (especially Kerr) is phenomenal!

6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I love the simple minds too... great bass lines.

7. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Loved Simple Minds since Love Song, I Travel, The American, Glittering Prize etc etc. In fact everything Derek Forbes played on sounded great.

Saw them recently with Eddie Duffy on bass and they still sounded good, and nice to see Eddie playing Forbes bass lines fairly faithfully, apart from the slap on Big Sleep which he played with a pick. No Simple Minds bass played has attempted to slap it since Forbes as far as I know

Duffy looked to be using P basses but didn’t play any songs needing a fretless. I’ve found a video on Youtube of them playing King Is White from New Gold Dream recently and he looked to be playing a fretless jazz style bass. Anyone know any more about what fretless he uses?

8. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2002
    London, Ontario
    Weird that no one but Forbes slapped Big Sleep? One of the first slap lines I learned starting out as a NEW WAVE teen in the 80s....great line and feel (quite smooth for slap), but not incredibly hard to slap......

Derek's playing was the best thing about that band IMO....after he left, my interest in them waned...

J

9. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Agree 100 %, though I do think the latest guy, Eddie Duffy, make a good fist of the old songs, apart from Big Sleep, and that may be because it's the way he's told to play it I guess.

10. They had been working on the OUAT album when Derek got sacked. As 'Sanctify' was the last song written for the album it was almost certainly Giblin.

Here is a live performance of 'The American' from 6/24/84 in Dortmund.
    YouTube - Simple Minds - The American, Dortmund 24.06.1984, Live, High Quality

His basslines were very much in the forefront because he was firstly a lead guitarist.

Here he is recently playing "I Travel" while under the influence...;)

YouTube - Simple Minds I Travel correct bassline

And "Colors Fly & Catherine Wheels".
    YouTube - Colours Fly and Catherine Wheel

By the way, Ged Grimes is the new bassist