1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Simple Minds - Don’t You (bass cover with Fender Precision American Performer

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dave84, Nov 13, 2020.

1. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    Bass cover of eighties classic song by Simple Minds played with my Fender Precision American Performer in PJ mode: it will also be a little technical bass line but in my opinion in its simplicity it is absolutely apt for this track. Enjoy!

FeltTipPen, Vinny_G, JimK and 23 others like this.
  2. One of my favorite 80's tracks (great production, and a very nice drum chart), it's big fun on a five to hit the pedal-point D-E-C-D-E turnaround 'down there'. Nice cover !

JimK likes this.
  3. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    Thanks!

4. that was great! great band too! takes me back to highschool daze...
    your bass sounds great. It would be cool to see you cover The american from them,,the bass sounds so killer to me in that song.Cheers!

dave84 likes this.
  5. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    Thanks for the tip! I will put this song on the list of upcoming covers to be published on my channel!

flannel cat likes this.
  6. bass12

bass12 A very hungry caterpillar Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    So many good bass lines from the Derek Forbes years. :thumbsup:

flannel cat likes this.
  7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Meh, that’s when they jumped the shark for me; they didn’t even write the tune, and only did it after Bryan Ferry passed on it. If you want a good workout, try this(I used to play it in an cover band)...

Plus the early stuff...

murphy likes this.
  8. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Wasn't that John Giblin on bass by that time? Anyway, that track was produced by Keith Forsey who also did Billy Idol, some of the same sonics and he always got a great bass tone on his productions. I seem to remember there was a schism in the Simple Minds camp before and after the popularity of that song. Nice job OP!

JimK and Kubicki Fan like this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Mercedes Hall!!! Best movie mom ever!

10. bass12

bass12 A very hungry caterpillar Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    It would make sense that Giblin played on the session as he played on Once Upon A Time and “Don’t You...” was recorded during the making of that album. As for the band’s attitude regarding the song: Simple Minds: how we made Don't You (Forget About Me)

31HZ, Kubicki Fan and jerry like this.
  11. Smooth play’n, and a beautiful bass to boot.:thumbsup:

dave84 likes this.
  12. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

The track was written by Forsey, an English drummer who had spent some time with Kraut rockers Amon Duul, and worked with Giorgio Moroder(playing drums on Donna Summer disco hits), and Nina Hagen guitarist Steve Schiff, with the Simple Minds in mind. Forsey was tasked with supervising the Breakfast Club soundtrack, and pitched it to the band, who intitially passed, as did Billy Idol and Bryan Ferry. The band, who had long been a cult favorite, still hadn’t broken big in the US, and singer Jim Kerr’s then wife, Chrissie Hynde, convinced him to go ahead and do the song. Recorded in late ‘84, Forbes was still on board, but would soon leave the band; Giblin’s first gig with them was Live Aid the following summer. There might have been some after the fact remixing/rerecording with Giblin when the song blew up for them(they considered it a throwaway track). “Once Upon..” was recorded mid-‘85.

bass12 likes this.
  13. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Had to learn that song for an audition many years ago. It was my first experience with drop D tuning. Love the song.

14. Juststanley

Juststanley Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    Nice tone, nice pickwork, nice bass.....Nice !

dave84 and biguglyman like this.
  15. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    Thanks!

16. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    Thanks!

17. Mo cowbell

Mo cowbell Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Colorado
    Agree with the positivity. Curious...what strings are you running?

18. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Nice job, perfect example of playing to what the song needed as opposed to playing over it.

dave84 and Mo cowbell like this.
  19. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    Good job. I'm always impressed by someone who can play triplets consistently at that speed. It's not easy.

20. dave84

dave84

Sep 29, 2019
    it's true it's not that simple, you need a lot of precision and cleanliness

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021