Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Simple MM pickup question.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by carl-anton, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Sorry, this might be a dumb, basic and even searchable question.

Is the MusicMan Stingray pickup a passive pickup? And does that mean that the active thing of a Stingray is the preamp. Meaning that this preamp does the same for the Stingray as a for example a Sadowsky outboard pre would do for a jazz bass? And, last question. Is it only when I boost something (treble, mids or bass) that the active part kicks in, or is the preamp allways amplifying the signal to some degree?

I just allways wondered about these things, but never really got hold of it.

2. yes, the pickup itself is passive, and the preamp is active, but be careful when using passive jazz pickup with a preamp, it could deliver more noise than an active pickup or humbucking pickup.

3. Ok, thanks. The jazz question was just for comparison. I don't own a jazz bass.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Is the MusicMan Stingray pickup a passive pickup? Correct
    And does that mean that the active thing of a Stingray is the preamp. Exactly
    Meaning that this preamp does the same for the Stingray as a for example a Sadowsky outboard pre would do for a jazz bass? Yes, but this is onboard ;)
    And, last question. Is it only when I boost something (treble, mids or bass) that the active part kicks in, or is the preamp allways amplifying the signal to some degree? Hmm. Depends on the preamp. Usually it only is on when you boost or cut something, but I think I've seen some with low output p-ups that also had some gain.

5. Thanks man. Regarding the last q, do you know specifically what the Stingray pre does? I.e. is the Stingray in effect a passive bass if nothing is boosted or cut?

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    As those p-ups have pretty big output, they are most probably passive with nothing boosted. (Though as I've not taken a SR apart yet, I can't know for sure ;) but it most probably is so)

7. Thanks alot :) I was just curious because everytime I read about someone who's tone I like, they allmost always at some point talk about the importance of passive pickups for their sound. (and I also know how important their fingers is for their sound, but that's another discussion). I'm a little wiser now. Thanks!

8. well i think there are two section of an onboard electronic (but maybe i was wrong), because i've seen onboard electronic without EQ.
    1) first one is the preamp, which converts the high impendace output from the pickup to a low impendance, so you could use long cables without loosing any signal.
    2) Equalizer (low, mid, high) boost or cut.

so even you dont cut or boost any freq, the preamp is still active.
    once again, i might be wrong, but that is what i know (until now).. :smug:
    maybe you could search for other resources and post it back here so everybody could know the truth :D

9. You could be right. I shot Ernie Ball an email, let's see what they answer.

10. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    That's not quite right, in all cases, of course, design philsophies vary between amp designers, but those rules usually only apply to pre-amps whose next stage is a power amp, your aforementioned impedence matching (Though EMGs do that, but that's because they are actual active pickups, with a built-in preamp for the pickup itself, before it hits anything else in the bass). An onboard pre-amp with some basses is just an active eq, boost and cut, as opposed to just cut in a passive system. Volume gain is where I get a little fuzzy. The information is out there, if you really feel the need to know.

11. I've already gotten an answer from Ernie Ball. The mail says I can't quote it, but it basically says that the the Stingray is designed to be active. The pu is passive but the volume boosts the signal. The pickup signal in it self is very weak, so you need the preamp. (A Stingray without a battery is a passive Stingray, and I always thought that there was no sound at all, but apparently there should be something but very low in volume.)

Well, I got my answers. Thanks to everybody who chimed in.