1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Simple Mod's to a jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bellis1, Nov 28, 2010.

1. I've got a Geddy Lee Jazz. I've replaced the white pg with a black one. Replaced the black knobs with chrome ones. Replaced the chrome control plate with a black plate.

WHAT NEXT!?!? I've got too much money to be not putting it into my bass. Sounds terrible. But so true. What other stuff have you jazz bass players done to yours?

2. Well, you have a Geddy, so no point in swapping the bridge or pups, those are already upgraded. I'd say if you really want more mods, get some lollipop tuners or a brass nut. If you have the cash for it, a refinish to your favorite color is always nice.

3. Whats the difference in sound if I were to purchase a brass nut?

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I thought the point of owning a Geddy Lee bass was to have a bass that looks like his classic 72 jazz.

5. To some, maybe. But personally, I could care less about having mine look like his. I liked the shaved neck, pups, and the block inlays.

6. Skull knobs!! :bassist:

7. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Lessons!

8. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Series/Parallel switch.

9. Modding just to mod is a waste get another bass

10. Steveaux

Steveaux Safe-Guardian of the Stoopid Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    Bottle opener.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    put a second neck on it.

12. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec

I second this.....

13. This, it adds another color to your tonal options. Also a preamp if you're into bastardizing basses :bag:

You could fund an addiction to fresh strings?

14. I'll second the lessons suggestion. Other than that, you could always upgrade to some better tuners. Usually they could be better.

15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    You mean you like how the neck is painted to look like it has binding and inlays.

16. Mr. Wu

Mr. Wu Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Canton, GA
    Hipshot Detuner ... Easy and great if you ever play in drop tunings. Otherwise, mod as you wish, it's your bass ... Make it yours and enjoy it.

17. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I did the following to my GL Jazz...

Replaced pickups (DiMarzio)
    Replaced tuners (Hipshot)
    Replaced pickguard (tort)
    Routed truss access into pickguard/body
    Stripped poly finish from back of neck, refinished with oil (well, someone else did that for me)
    Flats (TI)

Ta-da!

The neck plays like a dream, it stays in tune and sounds (to my ears) better with the pickups. Flats were just an experiment but I stuck with them since it sounded so good.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the sound of one note per string would get a little brighter than the rest of the bass.

19. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR

Not true. Sometimes you don't know what you want, so you try everything. I have my old Squier P-bass that has gone through MANY mods to get where it is now. Am I satisfied? Somewhat. Did it teach me how to refinish, solder and rewire? Yes. Did I learn what I really want in a bass? Yeah, I think so.

Sometimes you get a "stock" instrument and you just want to make it your own. Of course it lowers the resale value of the bass, but it is customized to your likes and comforts, which eliminates distractions to allow you to focus more on playing than pruning.

20. I would also suggest the series/parallel switch or a drop in preamp like the Audere. If you really want a bass to mod just for the sake of modding, get yourself an SX as well and have fun with it.