Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

simple mods to my practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Apr 8, 2002.

1. I use my little danelectro amp for everything, my bass, my electric, and my acoustic.

For awhile, the thing sounded GREAT when I cranked all the knobs (level, bass, mid, treble), it distorted very nicely, my tele sounded great. What I didnt realize was that I was frying the little 8 inch speaker. The amo has a little volume decrease, and when I just play bass, the low end response is not what it was *it had a lot of low end before, now its a tad thin)

Are there any decent 8 inch speakers out there. what will handle bass? Im also looking for about 30 watts, cause the amp puts out 15, but I want to be safe this time, and not fry this one.

Also, the treble knob is bassically useless, it doesnt do anything except add a little bit of noise. I dont know what pot is in it, but what should I get to make it useful?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    From what I think I know about speakers, you probably damaged your speaker with clipping from the amp, not the brute power of 15 watts. Speakerhole.com has a good looking 8" speaker for 11.20 but you'll pay at least that much in shipping.
    K

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hey, since you're near them, call Orange County Speaker (www.speakerrepair.com) at 714-554-8520. They've got a big selection of drivers. Explain your situation and they'll be able to offer some recommendations.

4. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    Weber makes a wide assortment of replacement speakers -

I run a strat and a P-bass into a Vox practice amp - and using some compression now at 2:1 ratio is maybe helping to save the speaker (?)