simple mods to my practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Apr 8, 2002.

1. I use my little danelectro amp for everything, my bass, my electric, and my acoustic.

For awhile, the thing sounded GREAT when I cranked all the knobs (level, bass, mid, treble), it distorted very nicely, my tele sounded great. What I didnt realize was that I was frying the little 8 inch speaker. The amo has a little volume decrease, and when I just play bass, the low end response is not what it was *it had a lot of low end before, now its a tad thin)

Are there any decent 8 inch speakers out there. what will handle bass? Im also looking for about 30 watts, cause the amp puts out 15, but I want to be safe this time, and not fry this one.

Also, the treble knob is bassically useless, it doesnt do anything except add a little bit of noise. I dont know what pot is in it, but what should I get to make it useful?

Thanks, I really appreciate it.
  2. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    From what I think I know about speakers, you probably damaged your speaker with clipping from the amp, not the brute power of 15 watts. has a good looking 8" speaker for 11.20 but you'll pay at least that much in shipping.
  3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hey, since you're near them, call Orange County Speaker ( at 714-554-8520. They've got a big selection of drivers. Explain your situation and they'll be able to offer some recommendations.
  4. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    Weber makes a wide assortment of replacement speakers -

I run a strat and a P-bass into a Vox practice amp - and using some compression now at 2:1 ratio is maybe helping to save the speaker (?)