1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Simple Note Charts for Bass

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by MauriceRojas, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MauriceRojas

MauriceRojas

Jul 17, 2012
    I am trying to find software that would help me in making quick note charts for bass.
    I currently use Libre Office and attached is a sample chart I make and this works fine for me except when I have to use a small b as a passing note,, If that happens to a flat b then I end up with bb instead of Bb,, I use capitals to denote strong notes and lower case for passing notes.
    I started looking for just some fonts I can use to denote the flat symbol but have not been able to find anything that works correctly as an add on font just for the symbol and using a complete font set doesn't work either. (i.e. - Times + Musical Roman) THis font is perfect but it doesnt do BOLD which I use to denote the main downbeat notes.

I am wondering if anyone knows if MuseScore can do what I am looking to do.. It would be great to find software that would allow me to write charts like I am doing but also use standard notation repeats instead of the (i.e. - (4x) ) am using...

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    someday I will find 4 or 5 other guys who want to play the blues the way it was played before it became all about guitar heroics
    Not sure about your abilities (or interest) in a more comprehensive program, but the free version of Finale is quite a remarkable and powerful tool. It will do everything you would probably ever want, and has the capabilities to do things that you never thought you'd need (until you learned how easy they are). Did I mention that its FREE?
    Funny story - I got my first copy just because I wanted something to write down bass parts I had been transcribing off of records. I finished my first song and somehow accidentally hit the 'play' button and was dumbfounded to hear the music being played back. I had no idea that the software actually played back the music you wrote - I originally thought it was just a much neater and more presentable way to write down music; when I found out it would play back what I had written, I stayed up all night writing and listening - it was a huge bonus that I was completely ignorant of......

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I write that kind of stuff out by hand then scan it into PDF format.

4. MauriceRojas

MauriceRojas

Jul 17, 2012
    Thanks much for the reply but I have roughly 500 plus songs I have done these simple transcriptions for. I would have to sit down and write out these for 500 plus songs. I don't think I can do that if I have to write down and scan each one. I do appreciate the input though.

Thanks much

5. MauriceRojas

MauriceRojas

Jul 17, 2012
    Finale is a score editor isnt it? Will it do just plain text without staff as in my example?

6. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I don't believe notation programs (e.g. Finale, Musescore, etc) will do what you want (i.e. no staff). Chord chart oriented apps like iReal Pro will do repeats, multiples endings, etc but I don't think they'll let you enter random letters to represent single notes.

Have you experimented with using subscript and superscript to denote different things? Perhaps a spreadsheet program might allow you to utilize drawn repeat signs.

7. MauriceRojas

MauriceRojas

Jul 17, 2012
    I have not,, don't know what sub and super script is but I'll read up on it,, thanks much

8. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Finale free can do slash notation charts, which is the closest thing to your example. It is the best way to share a chart in my opinion without going note for note as any reasonable player can see and understand the chord, changes and sections. You would simply set up the score in bass or treble clef, which is largely irrelevant for slash notation, and type in the chords above each measure or specific beat of the measure. Attached is an example from my library.

Attached Files:

MauriceRojas likes this.
  9. MauriceRojas

MauriceRojas

Jul 17, 2012

Ok yeah this makes it a bit closer,, I imagine I can just use sections as small as I want so I can fit everything into one page,,, I'll give it a try,, thanks much

10. dadglasser

dadglasser

Oct 11, 2009
  11. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I use an editor on the PC called Jarte to make RTF charts. Here's some examples:
    Index of /abc

12. I use an Android Tablet on stage for charts and highly recommend the App. Chordinator: The Chordinator - Android Apps on Google Play

I loved it so much I bought the paid version.

The charts are just simple text files with a .CSF extension that have specific tags for various things like Song title, Artist etc.

The beauty of it being an App is that it allows you to change key ON-THE-FLY without changing the actual text file!

I also store these files on Google Drive, make edits on the PC and when I'm on the tablet and need the updates I'll snyc. to said Google Drive account and boom...it's in the tablet! you can edit in the App itself of course but prefer to do heavy editing on a PC.

Just to give you an idea, here's the contents of the file that I use for 'Play that funky music'

{t:"Play That Funky Music" - E - 108BPM}
    {st:Wild Cherry}

{c:NOTES}
    - No bass in Chorus before Key change

{c:Intro./Verse} [E]

{c:Chorus} [G]-[A#]

{c:Key Change - Chorus} [A]
    Take it higher...