Simple pleasures.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XavierG, Mar 7, 2003.

1. One of my bass students, a really spunky 14 year old kid, had hoped to get a bass for Christmas, but all that changed suddenly when his dad passed away just before Christmas after a short battle with cancer. I hadn't seen this kid in 3 months (he dropped out of lessons shortly after his dads passing) so I phoned his mom last week and found out that the reason he wasn't coming to lessons anymore was because he didn't have a bass and they couldn't afford to pay for lessons either. I told her not to worry about the cost of lessons, I'd provide them to him for free. I had an old MIM Jazz lying around, no bridge, tuners, or strings, and missing the neck pup. It was pretty banged up. Another student of mine offered to take it home and ask his dad (an auto painter) to paint it for me. It came back a beautiful high gloss deep red - looked like new. Some other students (with permission from their parents) pitched in (out of their own allowances) to help cover the cost of hardware and a nice gig-bag. Well, "spunky" came for lessons last night, expecting to borrow one of my basses for lessons... I handed him the MIM bass and we went through his 45 minutes, him thinking I was letting him borrow the bass for lessons. Towards the end of the session, he looked at me and said "I don't know how I'm going to practice everything I learned today without a bass, Mr. X, I don't think this is going to work". I looked at him and said... you've got a bass buddy, take good care of it. You should've seen the look on his face when he finally absorbed what was happening - worth a million bucks! He gave me a big hug (totally un-characteristic of him) and walked out to his waiting mom (who had no idea what was going on) with a grin from ear to ear.

Ahhhh, the simple pleasures in life. Thought I'd share with you.
  2. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    That's awesome, XG.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    WHOA [​IMG]

I feel so warm and fuzzy after reading that... :D
  4. ... what was really heartwarming was the fact that my other students, kids aged 12-16, made it happen. Kids can be a swell bunch!
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    X, you're THE MAN, but we already knew that. :)
  6. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    You, sir, are a great man.
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Very Cool of you and very cool of the kids.

When you do things like that it feels better than getting a new bass.

Hey anyone thinking about doing another "Donate funds or parts for youg'in" thing again??
  8. Totally cool of the kids! I'm really proud of them.
    Now I have to work on getting "spunky" an amp (I lent him my Pocket-Rockit headphone amp for now).
  9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Way to be X.
  10. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    That's beautiful, Xavier.

BTW - your student calls you Mr. X? :confused:
  11. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Okay, THAT'S the coolest thing I've heard today.

You are righteous, X-man!
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That is the greatest. MY week is better now.

You've got a fine community around there too.

I hope I have/find the opportunity to do something similar.
  13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You da man Dr. X!!!

Seriously, you never know how a word or deed, no matter how simple, can impact a person's life..

Thanks for making my day great!!!!

14. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida

15. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    you and your troops are really kind and thoughtful.

16. Nice. Really nice. You may never know the full extent to which you and your other students impacted this kid's life. I had to wipe a tear, man.
  17. the world needs more people like you...
  18. That is excellent! That kid will remember this for the rest of his life, and I know the Man upstairs will remember you, Xavier. :) :cool:

I always had a funny feeling that you had wings.

Mike ;)
  19. Good deed my friend, good deed.