Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Simple preamp needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hensonbass, Jan 12, 2006.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been experimenting with a Zoom B2 effect unit and I want to run it with my DPC1400 amp but I need a preamp to boost the signal. Right now I only have a Sansamp Para DI that will boost the level but I would rather have something that is totally clean - just a flat response boost and no EQ.

Who makes something like this? :confused:

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have an old Ashly BP41 in good condition that I'll sell you for $50.00 + shipping, if interested. It's a single-space rackmount and it will definitely do the job for you. Feel free to PM me if interested.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    aguilar db924...plenty on ebay...
    low down sound makes a real neat one tube pre you can see on their webwsite.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Are you good with a soldering iron? Know anybody who is?

Clean preamp, no EQ, +20dB of gain: http://seanm.ca/stomp/preamp.html

5. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the replys. The "soldering project preamp" looks like the ticket for me.

6. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
  7. I tried using the Aguilar db924 in this fashion and it didn't work out. It is a great sounding preamp but it is at unity gain when EQ is set flat.

BTW I was using with active EMG pickups. Maybe it works differently with passives.

8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine

Well that just had all kinds of neat link and reading, kewl-thanks!

9. I think you can do what you want with what you have.

Set the EQ knobs to the middle (flat), and don't use any drive or presence or blend functions on the Sansamp. Then just turn up the level knob and you get a boosted signal with no EQing.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No. This is a line level device and not an instrument level. The input impedance is too low, it would need some sort of buffer. It also produces only +7dB of gain in the unbalanced output cases. This might not be enough to power a power amp properly.

11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    sounds like you've already made your decision, but in case that doesn't work you could always check out an Avalon U5. Turn off the tone circuit and you get great truly flat response.

12. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I tried out the sansamp idea and it sucked. I don't like what that thing does to my upright tone. I start getting feedback real quick, then I adjust the eq and the tone goes to hell.

For comparison I've been running my B2 into a Mackie mixer then out to the amp/speaker and it sounds clear and loud to my ears. I put the sansamp in the same sequence where the Mackie would go and it sounds like :spit:

I'm really surprised how much the sansamp colors things - I guess I just don't like that color. Keep in mind I'm using an upright bass so I want things to sound very true. Bass guitar is next on my list to dial in some sounds and maybe it will be better.