1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Simple Q: How close can a Stingray get to a P?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Hey, I've got the perfect neck for the upcoming Fender Stingray project (which'll have a P bass body, Tele pickguard, and Seymour Duncan Musicman Replacements pickup and preamp), but I have one last question.

I really love the P bass sound, but I want the flexibility of a Ray. How close will I get to that sound with a 3 band SD preamp?

Thanks!

2. Well you might be able to get close but you'll never be able to get there. Since this is a total project bass anyways, why not put a P pickup in the P spot. There should be plenty of room for it. Then you could have a blend knob to chose whether you want the MM or the P or a combo of both. What would be even cooler is to have a seperate set of controls for the P bass and a seperate jack. That would be rad!

3. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I think it depends on where your placing the MM pickup. I think we get the characteristic P-bass sound, because it is normally os close to the neck. I would think a MM neck pickup would emulate it decently.

4. i was one week away from cuttin' up my stingray like this, but i sold it and bought a P-bass.....it stomps the ray, no regrets. as i remember, the pickups of both instruments "overlap" each other.

5. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Indeed

6. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Stingrays don't really get close to Ps.