1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

simple question about $200 ampeg SCR-di preamp into my GK 1001rb ii

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by faqfoo, Apr 27, 2017.

1. faqfoo

faqfoo

Oct 20, 2016
    I love my 1001rb ii head into a GK 4x12 but occasionally get the urge to hear that Tool sober tone..... I've never used this pedal and just want to know simply, will this pedal get close to that tone with my GK rig????
    Thanks

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Paul D'Amour didn't run an Ampeg...

3. faqfoo

faqfoo

Oct 20, 2016
    My bad... wow I thought he did!!! lol never mind

4. faqfoo

faqfoo

Oct 20, 2016
    What did he run??? I've honestly never researched it just for some reason thought he did

5. faqfoo

faqfoo

Oct 20, 2016
    Never mind again!! Haha. Mesa

6. Stay away from Ampeg to get that tone. I pretty much bought my Ric and Mesa Bass 400(Paul used a Bass 400+, which has 12 smaller tubes, mine has 6 big ones) because of that album's tone.

I can get it more easily with my Alpha Omega and Oxford, though. Also, a B3K will do a fantastic job. The SVT tone to me, is more "gloggy" and sounds opposite the electric, metallic crunch(" of Undertow.

I use a pretty clean, bright Peavey amp as a baseline with those pedals, and I get plenty of grunt and grind.
    So your GK will probably be fine.
    Hey, I made a rhyme.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  7. faqfoo

faqfoo

Oct 20, 2016
    you coulda been a rapper yo!! haha, thanks for the advice, I did some research and was way off. For the life of me I cant figure out why the hell I was thinking ampeg....

FaithNoMan likes this.