Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Simple Question for Yammy Attitude owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fremenblue, Jan 26, 2003.

1. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    On the Willpower neck pos. pickup, is that just a square of pickguard material set over the pickup and screwed on? Or do they have an actual matching cover of some sort? Thanks!!

fremenblue

2. Berten

Berten

Jun 6, 2002
    Belgium
    I don't own a yammy but I think the little square on the pickgard is the willpower pickup!
    Correct me if i am wrong.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    under the square is a diamarzio model one. Nice pickup, but very boomy

4. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I guess my question wasn't as simple as I thought! I know what pickup is on the Attitude Ltd.; what I don't know is specifically how it is mounted to be nicely covered. I'm thinking of putting a Willpower neck position pickup on a bass of mine. However, by themselves those pickups are rather ugly. I've never handled an Attitude Ltd bass up-close so I can only guess at how the pup is set in. Did they cut the pickguard so that the entire pup sets "flush" with the pickguard, then cut a cover for the pup that screws down over it, resting directly on top of the pup? And this doesn't interfere with the pickup in any way?

fremenblue

5. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    And not to put too fine a point on it, but there's a difference in output between the Model One, which is a faithful reproduction of the EB pickup, and the Willpower neck pickup which has a reduced bass output, a little more even tone. The Attitude doesn't have the Model One, it has a Willpower neck position pickup. Check here for individual stats.

fremenblue

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Before I bought the Will Power Neck that I installed on my former Charvel Model 3B, I called DiMarzio to ask about it.

They told me that the Will Power Neck that Yamaha uses is made with the special cover that you see, not the normal black cover that you and I can buy.

7. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Meh.

Foo.

That sucks. ...

fremenblue

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    you're right, but i had to laugh reading that description on the dimarzio web site. "no mud"
    RIGHT..........
    that pickup is nothing but mud.

9. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    So you've had a bass with a Willpower or Model One pickup, TuBass?

fremenblue

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    yep, I had a willpower out of a yamaha, and I put it in my sons bronco bass. I had to build a pickup cover for it.
    check out this link
    click here

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Man, that Bronco looks cool!!! And your son looks happy too!!!!

I had a Will Power Neck on my Charvel...right up at the base (bass?) of the fingerboard. It was bassy, but not muddy...I really expected it to be more dull but the highs were actually pretty good.

I was about to put a tone control on, it but decided to sell the bass first. I had the PJ+WPN set up on it for a year and never plugged it into two amps (I gave the WPN its own volume control and output jack.

I think it would have performed as expected if the highs were rolled off with either a backed off tone control. I think I used a 500 K volume control...perhaps a 250 K would have been a bit darker without adding an RC network to roll off the highs.

12. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    It's definitely a particular pickup. ..I noticed you had it in more of a middle than neck position. Dunno if that would effect the big boom more or not. Then there's the whole short-scale issue as well (and that puts me completely out of my little wading pool of knowledge ;) ). My whole thing in using this pickup is to blend it in with another pup for some major low end. I don't mind a little mud anyway, I prefer that to bass that's overly bright/crisp. Just a preference thing. I was listening to Bob Daisley's lines on "Blizzard of Ozz" which he recorded on an EB-3, I love the sound he gets in the upper registers.

fremenblue

13. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    My Mesa Boogie has two inputs for two pre's, so my stereo basses can always be run dual outs. :D

Can you explain a bit more about the "rc network to roll off the highs"? If I put the WPN in my P bass I want to use vintage Jazz stacked knob for tone so each pup has a tone control, and maybe another stacked set for blend and volume, if that's possible. May not be.

fremenblue

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm not sure whether a stacked (concentric) pot exists for blend and tone. A blend control actually as two potentiometers operating simultaneously so the concentric blend/tone would need three...if that makes any sense. It's probably available but from whom I don't know and it would be expensive.

If you're running two outputs, a blend control isn't what you want. Using Stacked J controls the way Fender did would work perfectly (you would have a volume and tone control for each pup) and would allow you to use a switching jack to have both pups go to one output if you want or each to its own output if you plug into both outputs. You'd need another jack on your p bass though...

A tone control is really just an RC (resistive capacitive) network. Turning down the tone control reduces the resistance and lowers the cutoff frequency of the tone control. You could just put a resistor and a capacitor in series across the WPM if you don't have room for a control.

Clear as mud??? : - )

15. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    I guess in this case you have noticed my unclear thinking which was reflecting my unclear decision about having a third stereo bass. I think a P with two J stacked knobs would look pretty cool. .. and keep the cleaner look that P's have. I wasn't considering the switched jack, that would indeed be the way to go! Thanks, I'm actually clearer now than my bass may sound when I'm done. :D I think experimenting with different tone caps might be the way to go as well, to see what would sound best with the WPN. I think, if I've understood other conversations correctly, that putting different value caps on the tone control can affect the tonal range one can control with the tone knob.

fremenblue