1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Simple question regarding equalization for a modern tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Apr 9, 2010.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    OKay.... so I'm almost ashamed to be asking for other's opnions on this, considering Ive owned at least two of everything in my life and am a compulsive knob tweaker.... but I honestly think my approach to this new, more modern sound Ive been trying to achieve recently is all wrong, and I think its time I get humble and ask for help.

Ive always been a bridge pup, jazzy slightly overdriven rock tone kinda player. But I need a new sound for the new band. Luckily I don't have try and describe it.... its RIGHT HERE.

Now, I have an active, EMG- loaded two pup bass, and am Running all Genz Benz everything. I have slight compression & limiting going into the amp.

How would I go about Equalizing my signal to approximate the fingerstyle tone displayed in the first 20 seconds of this video? The only differences I would use would be a very VERY mild overdrive and *perhaps* a touch more low mid around 250.

Any opinions would be most appreciated!!!!!!!

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Maybe flat with a little bit of cut around 500 and 1k.

3. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Thanks man.... anyone else?

..................bamp?

4. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Try this for sure... or anything between 500 and 1k.

I dig the slap tone in the video, but the finger style tone is iffy IMO :meh: It sounds like the strings are barely off the frets! Anyone know what the bass is in the video?

5. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    A big cut at 625hz, a generous boost at 1.5k till it sounds very present and a flat top end. The reason for a flat top end is that you should get most of that upper end sizzle with new roundwound strings. No EQ is giving that.

Hope this helps..

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    with emg's i'd crank both pickups equally and slightly boost both treble and bass knob past flat on the bass.

7. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    I quite dig the musical buzz I get from very low action as evidenced here. Its definitely not everybody's style, but its quite close to what I need for this project.

agreed!

Gonna try these tonight..... stay tuned.

8. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Here's what I came up with: slight bass boost, deep notch at 700k, spike boost at 1.5k, very slight wide band boost from 4k up.

Almost dead on. I had been cutting much lower in the miss, and boosting too high. Thanks guys.

9. suraj

suraj

Oct 1, 2008
    Mumbai, India
    Thats exactly how i set my EQ..forgot to mention Bass boost earlier...
    cheers...