Simple Question, what kind of cabs do you like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thebassmuchacho, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Im just looking around for affordable yet nice cabinets and i wanted to know what yall thought. Just things like price, impedance, power, weight, purtiness....everything!
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I use EA cabs.
    What kind of music do you play and what kind of tone are you looking for?
  3. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I use Ashdown Cabinets, I like everything about them, they make a great pairing with my Sterling if your looking for a tone that really cuts through the mix.

Andy :)
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    EA or Accugroove are the cabs for me, with an honorable mention to Epifani. IMHO, the best cabs for the money out there are used VL-series cabs from EA.

5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Amen, brother, amen
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I like:
    Amce Low B2
    Hartke 4.5 XL
    X-Audio 2x10
  7. If you don't mind a few questions in return...

What do you consider affordable?

Acceptable weight?

How loud (efficient) do they need to be?

If you could answer these few questions it will give people some insight so they might better know what brands and models to suggest to you. Otherwise you're going to get more of the same as already posted.

8. well, around 1000 maybe? Cheaper if possible though.

Im looking for a 4 ohm around 500 plus

weight doesnt matter that much to me, im looking mainly for a 210 or 410 that will be loud enough, im checking out epifani and ea right now, but i dont see pricings at the sites, or maybe im just blind...yeah that could be it
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm not sure what it will sell for, but an Accugroove Tri 210L might be what you're looking for.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
  11. EA, Accugroove, and Epifani are all going to be near the top of your price range (new). Alas, it's all "top-notch" gear though so no problem I suppose. You didn't answer the volume/efficiency question. Maybe a better way to have stated it would have been; "How loud do you need it to be?" I ask because an Acme Low B-2 might be a decent choice if you don't have to play too loudly. 500 watts into a B-2 will hit an SPL of around 118db. They aren't the loudest cabinets on the planet but they sure sound good! Go check them out-
  12. I'm very pleased with my Bergantino gear! :hyper:
  13. jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Bergantino cabs are still the best I've heard...
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Bergantino for me too. I have no more speaker GAS.
  15. arcellus

Feb 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    what's right for you?
    hit up as many music stores as you can, try as many cabs as you can, take notes, take your time. you'll find it.
  16. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I would say along the lines of an Epifani 410-UL (used) or an Aguilar GS412. Those would both pwn.
  17. Well it depends on what head ur using and sound ur lookin for .....I have 2 810TX peavy cabs...I love em ..Driven by and AMPEG SVT PRO 4....I set them next to AMPEG 810's and The only difference I could tell was 200 BUX a cab :D But its all in the Beholder my man...