Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

simple question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arcellus, Feb 29, 2004.

1. arcellus

arcellus

Feb 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    i'm building up a new rig and trying to decide on a power amp to match up with my eden 210xlt.. would i be better off powering it with one channel in stereo or running in bridged mono?

the cab is 350w @ 4 ohm and i'm considering a mackie m-1200 amp (400+400 or 1200 @ 4 ohm)

thanks for any help!

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You'll get more bang for your buck if you bridge it.

Most people in-the-know recommend at least twice as much amp power as the power rating of the cab.

You don't have to run the amp wide open, but you do have to listen to the cab and avoid stressing it (especially, don't allow the amp to clip into it).

3. arcellus

arcellus

Feb 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    i guess what i'm really worried about is if i decided to add another cab later, which is a good possibility. i'd be puttting a 2 ohm load on the amp, which it's not rated for. the m-800, though, which is a lower powered amp, will handle a 2 ohm load. my lack of electrical experience has put me in this predicament. :confused:

4. arcellus

arcellus

Feb 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    i'm also considering the m-1400i:
    1400 watts @ 4 ohms bridged
    700 + 700 watts @ 2 ohms stereo
    500 + 500 watts @ 4 ohms stereo
    this is when i'd probably run stereo using just one channel to avoid taxing the cab, plus leave myself plenty of power at 2 ohms later.

5. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i personally enjoy in nice solid wall of mono sound for bass. aahhh (dreaming of hundreds of cabnets running mono at the :D same time)

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

With the M-1400i, get another 4ohm cab! 500w going into each cab will be plenty loud enough! :eek: I can't imagine needing to be louder! Do you have P.A. support at gigs?

7. arcellus

arcellus

Feb 28, 2004
    Portland, OR
    we don't currently have our own p.a. (hopefully soon...) so we've been relying on in-house setups...... so obviously i want to be able to support myself. i'll probably go with the 1400i just to have the head room.

btw.. i played a gig at a bar on thurs that told us they had an in-house p.a.... "a great setup, lots of speakers and stuff" they said. HA! their great setup was a peavey 250w amp running about 10 8" enclosures mounted up in the corners of the room....probably daisy-chained. i hate to think what impedance that poor little amp was running into.

how about a new thread? worst p.a. experience...

8. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Crown K1. It has more power than you need (bridged into 4ohms it'll do 1500w), but it's a very good sounding amp (a lot better than the Mackie, or the Crown K2, CE4000, or Microtech 1200).