Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Simple question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niskamies, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I want to lower the action on my Sadowsky MS5. The truss-rod is located near the body, not in the headstock. So, I want to lower my action, so I presume I have to tighten the truss-rod? So do I have to turn the truss-rod left or right, If I am looking from the end of the body?

2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    First of all, the truss rod is not really designed to raise or lower your action. It's primary function is to control the relief in the neck. This will of course affect your action some but typically you raise or lower your action by adjusting the saddle heights located on your bridge (after the relief has been set). To answer your question though, when looking from the end of the body, tightening the truss rod (CW; or to the right) will decrease the relief in your neck (make your neck more convex). Loosening the truss rod (CCW; or to the left) will increase the relief in your neck. To check the amount of relief in your neck, hold the bass in a playing position, press down the "A" string at the 1st fret (with your left hand) and press down the "A" string at the 18th fret with your right hand. The maximum distance from the bottom edge of the string to the top of a fret would be your relief. Depending on your playing style, you want anything from 0.00" to .0468" relief. On some basses I actually prefer .06" of relief.

3. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Thanks, I didn't make my self clear. I know that the truss-rod affects on the relief on the neck. But thanks, you answered my question!