simple question?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by felch182, Jul 22, 2005.

1. felch182

May 26, 2005
    I have a genz benz gbe 400 running through a gb410, Its only running at 8ohms at 200 watts, if i add a gb 115 cabinet which is also 8 ohms will that mean my amp head will then run at 4ohms and 375 watts, which in turn will be almost twice as loud or even just louder. Thanks in advance.
  2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yes. You'll be getting more wattage out of your amp, so it will be louder. As far as twice as loud I'm not sure, but the addition of the fifteen will add a lower frequency range that will fatten up you sound for sure.

Welcome to TB, by the way.

Edit: How do you like the gb 410??...I have a gb 210t-xb & gb 115t-b, which I was thinking about getting rid of to finance a new rig. But I'm having second thoughts, cause I really like my GB cabs.
  3. from my understanding it will not even be close to twice as loud more like 1/4 but it will fatten your sound
  4. felch182

May 26, 2005
    sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, i will go and get one tommorow then. Which cab would i put on top and which goes on the bottom, i really want to put wheels on the bottom one as it is such a heavy cab, unless any body else has any ideas. :hyper:
  5. Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    The power difference (200w vs. 375w) will add not quite 3db (2.63 actually). The added speaker cone area will also add volume, though I'm not sure how much. You'll definitely sound 'louder' though.

Anybody know how much of a decibel difference is required for something to sound 'twice as loud' ? Normal conversation is apparently 60-65db. I recently saw Meat Beat Manifesto and I stood behind the board. The engineer had a db meter and it was always around 120db, and I know the show sounded way louder than 'twice as loud' as the conversation before the show. I'm guessing the decibel scale isn't an arithmetic progression.

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'd put the 15 on the bottom. Keep the 10s on top, you'll be able to hear yourself & they'll cut throught the mix better. Another thing with the 15 is the low frequencies project further, so 10-15 ft away you'll be really be able to hear what it's adding to your sound.
  7. Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    db increase geometrically i believe
  8. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    IIRC, it takes 10 times as many watts to double the dB (I could be wrong about that), but that's probably more volume than is practical. Doubling the watts will give you more volume, for sure, but not twice as much.