Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Simple Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've never really bothered to ask anyone this before. Whenever I turn off my head, I've always turned the volume off, and then turn it back up after I switch the amp back on. Is this not necessary? Is there any harm (to the preamp or the cabinet) in turning off a preamp with the volume still on, and switching it back on with the volume already set? Thanks in advance.

2. I used to work in a venue where the PA would be operated by whoever was responsible that particular night. We put up an instruction card that said to not turn ANYTHING on or off while the master volumes were up. Anyone not following these instructions would get a slap in the face from the owner of the PA. And rightfully so. It could blow the PA to pieces and possibly 500 ear drums with it.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah, I take it I've been doing it the right way then ;)

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have an swr 350 head and it would almost always POP when I shut it off. turning master down helped reduce number of pops, then I took it to a repair shop and they said "oh, we can put a capacitor across the switch to absorb the pop" I had them do that and IT DOESN'T POP ANYMORE :)

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think that's a good rule of thumb for PA heads, but as for my amp I never even considered turning it down first. It's still up and running fine after a good 20 yrs of abuse, so I don't know if it truly hurts anything to do that.