Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Simple sheet music skills...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by frankencow150, Jan 7, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Ok this is for all you guys that want to learn to read music,but the websites are too confusing.My Dad taught me the basics and the easy way,and it really works!

Ok,I'll start out by saying that each line and between each line on the bass clef is a different note.It goes....GABCDEFG starting with the first line.The way I figure out which note to play is,I count up to which part the "dot" is on.If I count up four spaces from the bottom thats C .Then I play the note C on my bass.Thats how simple it is!Then if it has a number sign next to it(sharp note),you go one fret up from C.If it has a little b next to it(flat note),that means you go down one fret.

If you don't know your notes, theres plenty of websites that have "charts" which say what fret and which string to play for a certain note.I couldnt find any on the internet,so happy hunting!

Yeah I know its confusing to say over the internet,but if you still dont understand then ask someone you know that can read music,to teach you very simply and work your way up until you really understand.

I hope it helps,if it doesn't well atleast I tried!