simple slap rhythms

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pesticle, May 1, 2002.

1. i am just starting to slap and i was wondering what are some easy slap and pop songs to learn... its not very fun trying to start out doing really good slappers stuff and what are some slap exercises to make me better that you guys have learned over time?
  2. Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    Higher ground by the peppers is a great starter
  3. can anyone think of any others
  4. Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    Although Higher Ground maybe the obvious choice for slapping its not the best.. because as it stands its still a fair complex piece one u start using all of the dead fav slapping piece to start with is the mani sections of Alright by jamrioquai..its really easy and fun to play and u can feel like u are Stu... :) next try stuff like No Doubt' BND and then when u get lots more advanced look at Vic Wooten..<--- just started playing lotsa stuff by him..can play Me and My Bass Guitar..well sort
  5. XToolX

XToolX Guest

Mar 12, 2002
    Warminster, PA
    Hey I dont know what kind of music your into but NIN has a good song called sanctified. Its easy but you cant beat nails.
  6. Rage Against the Machine -- off the self-titled album....track five...I believe it is called "Bullet in the Head". You wouldn't think there would be a crazy slap line here, but it is phat. Also lets you work on adjusting the tone of your bass to accomodate slap.

And any and all Bootsy Collins. period.
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Listen to drummers. Slapping is all about treating the bass like a drum kit. To some extent that actual pitches you choose are less importnat than the rhythm. Many slap lines asoundmore complex than they are.

Treat the slap like the bass drum, the pop like the snare. Then go learn some simple drum beats. If you have access to a drum machine, try to duplicate the preset rhythms. Keep the melodic lines simple until you get the rhythmic part down.
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    try "Take The Power Back" by Rage Against The Machine. this was the first slap line i learnt, and it didn't take long. it's off their self-titled album, btw.
  9. It might take a little work... but the Slap riff in Aeroplane is a good one to know.
  10. Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    do you really think aeroplane is for beginners?for me it looks like a piece for advanced players
  11. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    it's actually really deceptive - the slap parts are laden with effects and Flea adds in all his little variations to make it seem incredibly difficult, whereas its really just a bunch of octaves and rhythmic combinations (what else is new with slap, hey). i'd say it's a possibility, perhaps after getting to grips with the fundamentals.
  12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    "Naked in the Rain" by the Chili Peppers.

Actually, the first tune I truly started slapping and popping consistently on was "Oh Shelia" by Ready for the World. If you can get past the vocalist's annoying voice, you'll hear a decent line to start with.
  13. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A basic exercise, suitable for novices-

Four components are involved & all you need is to be able to count to "4".
    Beat 1 = Thumb the OPEN "E"
    Beat 2 = SLAP(fretting hand)the muted strings
    Beat 3 = Thumb the OPEN "E"
    Beat 4 = POP the OPEN "G"

Once you get that 'pattern' into your muscle memory, speed it up...also, MIX IT UP!

As far as "Aeroplane" goes...once you break it down, it is a fairly stock slap/pop technique.
    Basically, it's a strict alternation between Thumb(slap) & index finger(pop).

Simply, 1-2-3-4(1/4 notes) again-

Eventually, keeping that same strict alternating 'pattern' of Thumb-Pop & employing it into a 1/16th note feel-

Now, by selecting which beats/subdivisions-
    a)To PLAY
    b)To REST
    c)To MUTE can come up with something like this-
    lT_TP-TPT_-T_TP-TPT_l etc
    l1_&a-2e&_-3_&a-4e&_l etc
  14. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    Buy Miles' "We Want Miles" and play along to Marcus every day til you got what he got!:D BTW I think he was only 19 when that was recorded, I THINK! Also check out some of the older funk stuff. IMO alot of people get too caught up in the technique and forget about the groove. I used to think that when I could play "What it is" (Daryl Jones) on Miles' album Decoy, I would have arrived. I was wrong. Oh yeah, get the book "Slap It" by Tony Oppenheim. That'll get you going too.
  15. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    excellent tutelage by JimK there, if you can decipher his brilliance then you're pretty much set :D

an important thing to consider before entering the world of slap is which 'style' you are going to use. this has recently been a very debilitating issue with me, as i taught myself to slap in a particular way (the 'Oppenheim' method), and since i've been receiving lessons, my teacher's style (the 'Hamm' method) has obsessed my thoughts completely - now, in my 3rd year of playing, i've made the decision to completely re-vamp my approach to slap (and percussive playing in general) because i just wasn't happy with how i was developing in that area. let me tell you, it has not been easy.
    don't let this happen to you! it's an absolute nightmare to end up re-training your muscle memory in order to accomodate for a vastly different set of maneouvers after a few years of repeating the same thing day in day out.

basically it's all a comfort thing - what feels best to you, where you want to go with it, whether you're picking up slap for sheer showmanship or to broaden the range of sounds you can achieve from your bass, whatever. what i've found is that there are two major styles of slap that i see players using, and to help you out with this i've decided to define and critique them below.

The 'Oppenheim' Method. the most common style of slap-bass playing i see being used by players, it consists of the thumb aligning perfectly vertical along the string with your fingers in position vertically over the higher strings. IMO it's a lot more comfortable and easier to pick up (most beginners will start slapping like this, myself included), and it is quite possible to take this technique to very high levels of proficiency. the downside is that a lot of the newer techniques that are starting to be developed and made popular by players such as Victor Wooten, Stu Hamm, and Marcus Miller are not possible (or are exceptionally difficult) to execute whilst using this method.

The 'Hamm' Method. a style popularized by bass soloist and Satriani-sideman Stu Hamm, this method consists of an almost 'thumbs up' position. basically, one's thumb will be pointing diagonally vertical along the top string, with the side of the index finger in position to pop the higher strings.
    in my transition over to this style, the initial discomfort has given way to a much more (IMHO, of course) efficient, elegant and progressive technique. however, i have found that some people may experience difficulty in attacking the D string with their popping finger whilst using the Hamm method - persevere.

also, note that to make effective use of the latter you might have to wear your bass a bit higher than you normally would.
    give them both a try, and see which seems to fit - just be certain that the one you choose is still going to be working for you a few years down the line. i wouldn't wish my frustration on anyone ;)
  16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author &quot;The Art of Solo Bass&quot;
    Check out the reprint from my Bass Frontiers Magazine lesson article entitled "5 Minutes to Slap" it is a really good exercise. The link is:

Mike Dimin
  17. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  18. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    and I just cheked Mike web site and he have some great info also!