1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Simple, tasteful tapping example

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Joe P, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've been working on fretboard tapping off-and-on for a couple years now.

Here's a recent recording of me playing with the band Funk University.

In this one, I never pluck a note; it's all tapped.

I decided to tap this one because of the tone that I get, and because of the groove that seems to fall into place so nicely. I'm using both hands; the low-notes are played with the left, and the higher ones - along with the little arpeggios - played with the right. Sometimes I'm sliding up with octaved (and occasional fifth-harmony) double-stops. I'm muting-out the notes with my right wrist, but there's also twin hair-scrunchy mutes - one on about the second fret, and one on the third.

http://www.narwold.org/joep/What Does it Take (small).mp3

I'm planning on doing more tapping. I really like how this part grooved.

I thought this might be valuable for presentation and discussion because tapping often seems so intimidating, and I wanted to point-out that tapping doesn't have to be used only for fast or 'flashy' parts; that it's useful for more simple, conventional bass lines also.

(edit): Oh! I should mention that when I do the double-stop slides, then I'm crossing my left hand over, and playing the higher-note with the left; and whipping back quick to get it into position for the low notes again - but there's a wrist-mute in there to give me enough time to do it during the rest-beat. It all really worked-out perfect for this song, I think.

Joe

('nuther edit) ..and another thing: I'm using TONS of compression; a Boss CS-3, followed by Aphex Big Bottom (Bass Xciter).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    (other-'nuther edit) Sheesh... Ninety views over three days, and not a single response. I would'a sworn this would be valuable or interesting or something to someone...

Man, is that demoralizing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    (Another other-'nuther edit) Well: here we are, one month later, with well-over a hundred reads, but no comment back. Ohhhh, yeah.