1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Simple Timing Messing me up

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I'm working on Du Hast by Rammstein and such a simple song is tripping me up. I'm using a tab over at 911Tabs.Com - External Link and can't figure out the timing.

Is the A on the 1 and the G on the "and"?
    E |-5-3-0-0-0-0-0-0-
    ----1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

Or is the A on the "and" of the previous and the G on the 1?

E -5-3-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
    ---+ 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +

The same when the verse comes in:
    E |-5-3-0-0-0-0-0-0-|-5-3-0-0-0-3-0-0-|
    In the second bar of the verse, it sounds to me like the G is on the 3 beat as in 1 and 2 and 3 but they have it different.

Why is that tripping me up?

2. jeff5311

jeff5311

Jan 27, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Tabs are always wrong. Just use your ears.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    It's tripping you up because you're relying on tabs. Listen to the song and count it out as you're listening to it. Then if you have problems figuring out a part, use the tabs as a guide to find the right note.

4. YES - tab is not meant to help with duration or timing, it only gives what note.

Tab is OK, but, you have to understand it's limitations. So as already mentioned listen to the music and count it out or rely upon standard notation.

5. I just listened to the song, and the main riff goes like this:
    [​IMG]

6. lidesnowi

lidesnowi

Jan 29, 2011
    + 1000000

7. Thanks fellas! Always can count on you guys. I worked through it with the actual notation and made by own tab and kept the standard notation with it to help "bridge the gap" between tabs and notation so I can learn more...definitely need to trust my ear a little more...thanks again!!!